𝟬𝟯. snake in the grass

CHAPTER THREE
colors your eyes with what's not there

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐓ime is a funny thing. The sound of birds chirping and the sunlight escaping between the cracks of the rover was a sign that morning had come. Elliot wasn't sure how long they'd been stuck inside the rover. They could've come out a few hours ago but she didn't think anybody would want to sacrifice themselves for whatever that might greet them out there. An arrow to the head or a sword to the neck doesn't really sound very enchanting.

     "It's been three hours," Bellamy sighed loudly. "What are they waiting for?" 

     "Even with the light, I don't see anyone," Kane muttered uneasily.

     "I say we make a run for it," Monty suggested.

     "That's what they want us to do," Elliot scoffed, hefting her sword in her grip as if she was prepared to stab it into somebody anytime.

     "The boy is right," Indra said, awfully calm which made Elliot scowl in the shadow inside the rover. She had a point but it was too early to make sudden decisions. "They can wait longer than we can."

     Kane contemplated. Then he turned to the oldest Blake beside him. "Okay, Bellamy. Get in the turret, and you cover us. Once we get to that ridge over there, we'll cover you."

     "Copy that. Run fast." Bellamy zipped up his jacket before he went to open the ceiling latch. He stood completely although before they could prepare to leave the rover, Bellamy spoke, and he didn't sound very assuring: "They're here."

     Elliot clenched her fists around her sword. Well, that was fast. She noticed. But she remained silent, trying to get a look at Bellamy from where he stood with half of his body out of the rover. It was very hard, considering they couldn't make any sudden movements that could cost his life. One thing for sure, somebody had a knife against his neck, which gave him no choice but to stay still and raise his hands.

     "Everybody out, or the boy dies."

     They instantly glanced at each other, exchanging silent agreements and whatnot. Elliot was not looking forward to this. Suddenly, Bellamy was dragged out of the rover from the roof, their unknown enemy becoming impatient. Out of instinct, the Azgeda Grounder was the first to act. She kicked the door open, her swords raised and the others followed her out in the forest with no other choice.

     "Drop your sword," A feminine voice threatened, pushing the tip of a rifle to the side of her head, which Elliot completely disregarded with her calm demeanor. The lady in the mask didn't take it too lightly. "Do it now!"

     She pressed the rifle harder to her temple, and Elliot bit her tongue as she begrudgingly dropped her blade on the ground. An unsatisfied grunt escaped her mouth as she was harshly pushed over the dirt, kicking her knees so she was fully on the ground. She made eye contact with Bellamy who struggled against his captor who kept him. 

     Elliot despised it. The way they were so obviously trying to main her a little from pushing her face further on the dirt and rocks. It was as if they held a grudge against her. All of them were struggling against the binds that kept their wrists together. These masked men and women, for whatever reason decided to ambush them, it was not good. The roughness and the threats gave it away.

     "All targets secure!"

     Monty was pulled up on his feet by one of them as another guy walked towards him with a noisy device before saying he found something. The masked man grabbed the tracking beacon from the boy and marched away without a word. Monty continued to fight back and struggle against the man who held him, not wanting to let them have the beacon. His only chance to find his family.