Chapter 1: Mommy Dearest

“Rose you’re not leaving me! We talked about this, and you said you were going to stay!” My mother was insane, though most drug addicts were. After my parents divorced she went off the deep end and decided to stop being a parent. I was always surprised that I hadn’t been taken away by the state, maybe because she acted like the perfect mommy when neighbors asked, and when cops came she sweet talked them and offered them soda pop and they left without a word.

“Oh please in your head that’s what you heard but that is not at all what I said, I’ve raised myself from the age of seven and my life is a living hell here, you’re on your own and once I’m gone no ones going to come save you, so therefore you’ll actually have to take on responsibility! Oh wait, that’s not possible for you, I guess mommy dearest is out of luck.” Yes I was cold but I had a right to be, no one could tell me different. In fact there was nothing she could say after all theses years to keep me from going, nothing would stop me nothing would change my mind.

“Here’s two hundred, try not to spend it all on drugs and get your self some food, you have a job interview tomorrow at twelve thirty, I wrote the time and address, a taxi will be by ten minutes to twelve. Try to look decent and act like you do when the cops visit us.”  I never even gave her the chance to say anything else, I was out the door down the stairs and to the airport, I could care less about what she had to say I wanted to get on and go. Through security and to the gate like a pro I had gone through this process over and over in my head until it hurt, I wasn't going to screw this up, I needed away out and this was it.

As the flight attendant rifled through safety procedures I slipped my earbuds in and my sweatshirt on. My goal was to fall asleep, there was one stop between New York and California. Arizona I think, I wasn’t sure, I didn’t care. I didn’t have to get up and move everything was good and fine, so I hoped, so I hoped…

“Hey sweetheart? Is this seat open?” Opening my eyes everything was blurry I sat up right and tried to focus but I couldn’t see, my glasses… where are they? I started grabbing for them but there was nothing, oh god I must look so stupid! “Oh you’re looking for these, silly.” All at once everything came into focus, he came into sight, and oh damn was he something. “No you can sit here!” I was so embarrassed, shuffling and dropping things every where I was a mess my god!

“Hey, hey, hey sweetheart it’s okay, it’s okay my love… Calm down there’s nothing to be all hyped about you look like a mess of skin and bones.” He straightened my jacket and fixed my glasses. His smile was beautiful a ring on the left side of his bottom lip complimented it, “My name’s Buea Maddox, yours?”