Green of Mean

The darkness can be a friend but it can also be an enemy.

Every time I close my eyes I see him standing there in front of me. His eyes are locked on me, they are red and full with anger. Tears of blood run down his cheeks and sizzle as they hit the ground after leaping from his jaw line. He just stands in place, not moving for he knows I will run if he does.

I open my eyes and darkness is all around, is it any better than when my eyes were closed? No. And yet I feel safer with my eyes open, surrounded by the darkness of the abyss. All around me, blankets of rocks and sticks shelter me from his reaching tendrils, for he can not reach this far down.

I am safe. Safe at last.

Rumble.. .Rumble... Rumble.

The ground shakes, I feel like I am in an automated blender. My safety blankets of rocks and sticks soon tear apart and ricochet off of one another.

I cower under the flying debris, I cower like the terrified child that I am. I never signed up for any of this. I never wanted to be chased by a madman while falling down a dark and endless hole of doom.

A hard object of sorts -- probably a rock -- hits me in my back and sends me flying forwards into the wall of stone in front of me. My body bounces off of it like a stuffed bean doll would after being flung by a child into a massive rock wall -- because as a child it was fun and we did fun stuff like that as kids.

Unlike the bean stuffed doll, my head was not smashed open to spill all of the small silvery beads from my head.

I lay helpless on the ground at the bottom of the assumed bottomless abyss. Darkness is everywhere, and the only sound is that of rocks and sticks crashing into each other and against the walls of the abyss.

The Monster grumbles and everything shakes. And then it all stops. The rocks stop crashing and the sticks stop breaking. And then everything is silent again.

Everything is quiet.

Everything is too quiet.

I open my mouth to let out a scream, but nothing comes out. No matter how much I try, no sound is made.

Is the silence worse than the noise?

Most definitely. The darkness feels as though it is closing in on me and then something so horrendous, so earth shatteringly horrifying breaks the silence.

Up above me stands the sheer terror that I tried so hard to run away from. The being that sent me jumping into the abyss. He stands-- or rather he floats above me like a graceful little cloud, lonely floating by.

His eyes remain on me, red in colour and angry in tone. He says not a word but I know he wants to speak. His black shadowy tendrils wriggle and squirm underneath his upper half, like a surfaced octopus that is stuck on the cool land, fighting hard to find a source of water to reel back into. But alas, there is no water around. There is no safety net for me to reel back in.

It is now or never, I must face my fear now.

I furrow my brows and I arch them inwards to show him my determination. I go to scream, but still no sound comes out. I clench my fists and I stand with might.

I will not back down from this fight. I have run too far in so short a time to lose to this beast now. I see the right corner of his mouth curl into a smirk and one of his shadowy tendrils shoot out towards me.

I duck and roll to the side - the tendril just narrowly missing me by a few inches at the longest. I recover my stance and look back at him again. His smirk is even wider now, amusement paints his face.

More of his tendrils strike out at me, I leap away to avoid being hit -- or worse: captured. But the tendrils are traveling too fast. I can't keep up. This is most definitely the end.

I see his slimy shadowy tendril shoot out towards me and I leap to avoid it but I am too slow. It wraps around my waist at a quick pace. Squeezing against my body tightly and making it harder for me to breath. My gaze turns to him as he reels his tendril in, bringing me in closer to him.

My heart pounds faster with every inch that I am pulled closer to him. His undying scent of rotten eggs and smoked blue cheese reeks into my nostrils and punches me in my gut. His smirk widens into a grin and I see all of his small yet sharp teeth that hide behind his fleshy pads for a mouth. Hid long, slimey, and moist tongue slithers out from the cave that is his mouth hole, wriggling towards me the closer I get to him.

"Any Last Words." His rough voice sounds, similar to that of a dump truck running over freshly lain stones and the corpses of a thousand men. He snickers and his tendril bounces, shaking me up, down, and all around. As though I were a jug of chocolate milk that he was just about to open with the intent of pouring out a glass full of it.

"Yea." A word finally expels from my mouth, the sound of my voice echoes within the shadows of the abyss. "I no longer fear you. So, do your worse." My eyes stare hard at the beast-like creature in front of me. His beast-like features shrinking with each passing moment of me not showing fear to him.

Yet He still grins, despite the humanness of his appearance poking through his facade, like he knows that deep down inside of myself, I am still very much afraid of him and of what he will do with me.

"You can lie all you want, child, but you can never lie to your heart." He cackles in his low tone before thrusting me fast into his wide gaping hole of a mouth.

I close my eyes tight as I feel the free falling rush once again, and even though it is different... even though it is a different hole... it still feels the same.

It feels as though I am falling through the shadowy abyss again.

And then I open my eyes.

Holy Shit.

=====================================================================

Word Count: 1100