Life on the Dutchman - Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Heave! Heave! Heave!” The crew shout. I feel my back ache and protest from the pain. As soon as we reached the ship Will and I were thrown in chains and set to work. Will and I are put to work on the main mast. It is back breaking work and seen as though it is raining the deck is stupidly slippy too.

Secure the mast, man called Mr. Turner. Secure it!” The first mate shouts. I watch as Will and another man run towards the mast.  I run across to help as it seems there is going to be an argument.

Step aside!” Will shouts at the man. The man is covered in slime and seaweed. His skin is too wrinkly.

Hey, mind yourself! Let go, boy!” The man shouts and then looks up at Will “No” He says and then lets the rope go. I grab the end and Will and I try to hold on to the rope but it is no good the rope runs through our hands causing rope burn across our palms and the cannon smashes to the deck.  

“Maria leave... Maria now!” Will shouts and pushes me away from the area. I watch as the first mate pulls Will towards him.

“Grab him, he shouts and I watch as the crew make Will grab onto the ropes with each hand. The crew man then rips Will’s short of his back. I make a move towards Will but the man from before holds the top of my arms to stop me from moving.

Five lashes are in my due. To stay honour” The first mate says and I cringe as he prepares the whip. I feel the hands from around the tops of my arms leave. The man moves towards the first mate.

No” He says simply.

Impeding me in my duties? You'll share the punishment”  The man says and I look at Will who has turned to see the man who has stopped the punishment.

I'll take it all”

Will you now? And what would prompt such an act of charity?”

My son. He's my son” He says. Will turns fully around now, I feel my face literally fall and my mouth open wide.

Ahahaha ha! What fortuitous circumstance be this. Five lashes be owed, I believe it is” Davy Jones says and then reaches out and grabs the whip out of nowhere. I feel really startled, where did he come from?

No. No, I won't!” The man, Will’s dad, says and pushes the whip away.

The cat's out of the bag, Mr. Turner. Your issue will feel its sting be it at the Bo'sun's hand or your own”  Jones says and motions to Bo’sun, I turn and see a machine of a man. I would much rather get the whipping of my father than him.

No. I win’t whip my own son”

Bo'sun!” Jones shouts but before Bo’sun can even move Will’s Dad has grabbed the whip. I turn away as I hear the whip come down hard on Will’s back. I hear him groan but he never screams. Once I have counted five I turn back around. Will is flat out on the floor with criss-crosses on his back.

Will!” His dad shouts and tries to help him up.

I don't need your help” Will tells him and pushes his father’s arm away. I walk towards him and give him a hand up.

The Bo'sun prides himself on cleaving flesh from bone with every swing” Will’s Father tries to explain.

So I'm to understand what you did was an act of compassion” Will asks the sarcasm in his voice.

Yes. One hundred years before the mast. Loosing who you are, bit by bit. 'Till you end up, end up like poor, Wyvern, here. Once you've sworn an oath to the Dutchman, there's no leaving it. Not until your debt is paid” His father tells us. I see Will’s anger become extinguished.

I've sworn no oath. Neither has Maria” He tells his father as we walk towards the end of the ship. I’m sure Jack had said his name I just can’t remember. I know his real name is William but he had a nickname... Bootstrap! That’s it.

Then you must get away and take her with you” Bootstrap says and motions at me.

“Not until I find this. The key” Will tells Bootstrap while unfolding the piece of cloth that I’m sure came from Jack. I watch as a man who has became part of the ship emerges.

The Dead Man's Chest.” The man says.

What do you know of it?” Will asks him, I just take a step back.

Open the chest with the key and stab the heart. No, don't stab the heart. The Dutchman needs a living heart or there'll be no captain. If there's no captain, there’s no one to have the key” The man says.

So the Captain has the key. Where is the key?” The pirate says nothing.

“Please tell us” I beg him and his face softens as he looks at me for the first time. I can see the pity in his eyes, I’m sure he hasn’t seen a woman on board the ship before.

Hidden” He tells me and then looks back towards Will.

Where is the chest” Will asks.

Hidden” He replies before attaching himself back to the ship. I then walk away and return to my post. I am not going to put myself into the position of getting whipped. I hear later on that Will has a plan on how to get the key. He apparently challenged Jones to a stupid pirate game and had lost but in the meantime he had found where the key was hidden so that is now our plan.

“I told you not to follow me” Will whisper shouts. He expected me to stay with his Father. I would match rather get up close and person with the tentacle one.

“I didn’t listen” I tell him with a smile.  We creep into Jones’ room and see him sleeping at the organ. I watch as Will picks up a quill and a stick. He then raises a few tentacles with them and manages to move them until I can see the key. Suddenly one of the tentacles drops and lands on the organ causing it to play a note. Just as he was about to wake up a music box opens and once again starts to play a tune. I watch as Jones smiles and goes back to sleep. Will lifts the tentacles again and I grab the key and pull it from around his neck. I pull the key around my neck and we leave as quickly as possible.

“That was too close Will, my heart literally stopped!” I tell him while we walk towards his Dad who was on watch.

“Thank you Bootstrap” I tell him while climbing down into the dingy below. I need to give them a moment or two to bond. I watch as Will climbs down and hands me his bag as he begins to row. He doesn’t say anything but I can clearly see the tear in his eye. Nothing is said between us that night.

Sorry for not uploading for ages. And sorry for the awful qualoty of this chapter, it is just a filler to try and move it on in the story :)

It should get more meaning to it soon. Hopefully.

Once again I'm sorry for the late upload!

Please Comment and Vote

Indie x