Chapter 20: Raid Of The World Tree

Inside The World Tree

No POV:

The moment was now time was pressed for Y/N and Kirito. They needed to get to the top of the World Tree now. So planning on how they were going to get to the top wasn't exactly important. Now Y/N, Kirito, Leafa and Recon were going to be the first party to single handedly going to reach the top and get higher than other groups. Knowing the seriousness of this mission there couldn't be any mistakes.

Y/N POV:

To say that it was foolish for a group consisting of a Dragoon, a Spriggan and two Sylphs was correct. I didn't know how we were going to get to the top past all of the guardians. The last time it was just Kirito and I, we barely made it to the top. Kirito died and I was about to end up the same way even after using one of my strongest spells.

"Okay here's the plan, Shi and I will be in the front attacking while Leafa and Recon stay in the back and heal us" Kirito said explaining the plan. "Um why are you two going to be in the front would it be better for all of us to attack?" Recon asked. "Yeah that doesn't make any sense for just the two of you to attack" Leafa said. "Well you see the guardians won't attack you if you stay back far enough and heal us" I explained.

"If the situation calls for it and you two need to attack, do whatever you have to" Kirito told them. "Alright here we go guys, let's reach the top" I said as the guardians began to spawn in.

No POV:

The group then got into position and readied their weapons. Things began immediately Y/N and Kirito began to cut down as many guardians as they could. Y/N sent out waves of flames cutting a large amount of guardian in half. Kirito did the same he cut down as many guardians as Y/N did. When they took a lot of damage they'd back up and have Leafa and Recon heal them.

It went on like this for some time, they had actually began to make some progress. However things began to change when the guardians began to instantly respawn. The guardians soon then went after Leafa and Recon when they saw them heal Y/N and Kirito.

When they tried to swarm on them Y/N created a massive fire wall protecting them. Leafa noted that the guardians had a different targeting algorithm from other regular monsters. As more guardians went after Leafa and Recon he took offensive for Leafa and protected her. He attacked them with offensive magic and got their attention.

To the suprise of the others Recon used a self destruct spell. He used the spell sacrifice to kill a large amount of guardians. Leafa knew the toll of using that kinda of spell. Recon's death counter was going to be very long. Recon's spell killed a lot of guardians around him creating an opening for everyone.

Y/N POV:

Recon created an opening that Kirito and I could use to reach the top. I had just killed a guardian when Kirito got my attention. "Shi there's an opening we need to take it" Kirito called out to me. As Kirito and I rushed to get past the guardians through the gap more guardians instantly filled it and blocked our way.

Kirito flew back for Leafa to heal him I decided to try and create a new gap for us. "Elemental duality: Fire and Lightning" I chanted as I created a ball of flames in one hand and a ball of lightning in the other. My sword got engulfed in flames while the lightning formed around my dagger. With those two blades I killed all of the guardians that got in my way.

When my spell faded away I tried to rush into the new gap I created. Just like before a giant swarm of guardians came in and blocked me. Before they could swing at me I used a wind spell to blow myself back to the others.

Leafa caught me and began to heal me "it's impossible guys the grand quest can't be beaten" she said. Out of nowhere guardians began to surround Leafa. Right as they were about to attack her out of nowhere came soldiers of the Sylph and the Cait Siths with their dragons. Sakuya and Alicia had arrived with their troops just when we needed them most.