Chapter 3

IAN's POV
"Does she know how to play Quests of Yore?"
"Probably."
I dug my fork into the mashed potatoes and take a bite. Barley nodded in approval.
"I like her already!" He bellowed then picked up his plate and brought it to the sink. "Sooo, have you asked her out yet?" He asked before sitting next to me and rested his chin on his hands like a little girl.
"No, I just got the courage to talk to her today, Barley," I chuckled, finishing the rest of my dinner.
"Well that's a step forward!" He playfully punched my arm before getting up, following me as I brought my own plate to the sink.
"I'm soo proud of you little man! Ever since our epic quest together you've gained so much more confidence!" He wrapped me into a bear hug, and I struggled to get out, laughing.
Ever since our big "quest" together, I've had a newly found confidence. I can give all the credit to Barley; there's not a question about that. Without him, I wouldn't have been comfortable with trying new things and being the person I wanted to be.
"So, when do you see her again?"
"Tomorrow we have a nature hike for the art department. I think we're supposed to find some sort of scenery and make art of it."
I thought about the fact that I'd be walking in nature with (y/n). Maybe she could be the scenery I paint.
She's beautiful like one.
"Uh-oh."
It wasn't until I heard Barley when I realized I had drifted off daydreaming about (y/n). I shook my head out of the trance and looked at my older brother.
"What?"
"You're thinking about her. I can tell." Barley smirked before taking a box of Dragon Puffs out, reaching his hand into the bag and stuffing his face.
"W-what? No I wasn't.." I followed him as he walked into the living room. He turned around and set the box down on the couch before grabbing my shoulders.
"Listen little bro, if you're gonna ask this girl out eventually, you've got to learn how to act in front of her." He said. "Now chin up."
I obeyed.
"Shoulders back."
I did so.
"Smile!"
I flashed my pearly whites.
"Perfect! Now pretend I'm (y/n)." Barley turned around and fluttered his fingers as if he were getting into character. Then he turned and struck a pose. "Hi Ian, how are you today?" He spoke in a high-pitched voice, mimicking (y/n).
We stood in silence for only a second before mom walked in the door holding grocery bags. I looked over Barley's shoulder  as did he, still keeping his pose.
She raised an eyebrow.
"Not even gonna ask, boys."
My brother and I looked over at each other and doubled over in laughter.
Despite the failed attempt, Barley gave me enough confidence so I can think my field trip will be okay with (y/n) tomorrow.

YOUR POV
"Alright everybody, let's go! On the bus!" Our art teacher, Ms. Mustang waved her arm to motion us to follow her.
I still hadn't seen Ian. Hopefully he'd be here before attendance.
The centaur teacher climbed her way onto the bus and we followed suit. I had a couple of kids wave at me to sit with them, but I didn't feel like it today. I kind of wanted to sit with Ian when he got here.
I set my bag down in an empty seat and looked out the window, seeing a van painted with a unicorn on the side veer into the parking lot. Two elves were on the unicorn and I could tell exactly who one of them was.
Ian.
The boy jumped out of the passenger seat and waved to the driver. He looked over at the bus and saw me in the window, and I saw his face light up. I looked toward the front of the bus and saw Ms. Mustang struggling to get on the bus.
"Tooth of Zadar, when are they gonna make these things centaur-friendly?" She grumbled to herself before finally pushing through the bus door. Behind her followed Ian, who ran to the back of the bus and sat next to me.
"Hey, sorry I'm late!" He said with a smile.
"Hey, don't apologize to me, you almost missed attendance!" I elbowed him playfully.
Ms. Mustang took attendance, and as soon as she was over we were on our way.

IAN's POV:

I was almost late because of Barley today, but I made it to the bus, thankfully.
(Y/n) looked stunning today, at least for a nature hike. She had a tied up (f/c) shirt and jeans, with hiking boots.
The ride was over within minutes, and we made our way down to the river.
The national park was beautiful, the purple waters flowed by a tall mountain topped with snow. In the early morning sky you could still see the two moons shining, only slivers.
"Alright, go explore! We'll reconvene here at 12 for lunch." Ms. Mustang said as the array of art students dispersed. "I'm... I'm going to go take a nap."
I looked over at (y/n), and she looked at me. We smiled.
"Do... do you wanna go down by the river?" She asked. She adjusted her backpack, which rattled with paint bottles.
"Sure!" I smiled before following her down to the shore. It was lined with rocks, big and small. We sat down.
"Man... it's beautiful." (Y/n) sighed, looking at the mountain.
I looked at her equally beautiful profile.
"Yeah... you really are."
It wasn't until she looked at me in confusion when I realized what I said.
"I-I mean.. I-it's beautiful! The scenery." I scratched the back of my neck.
She giggled, and looked back at the mountain. After minutes of silence, she spoke up.
"I don't know what the hell I'm gonna paint here."
We both burst into laughter, before I looked over at her. Behind her I saw a giant rock.
"Hey, follow me," I said before standing up and walking to the rock. She followed.
"Bean me," I said while holding out my hand, and she handed me her paint filled backpack. I opened it and painted my signature.
"Ian was here"
Then I went to work on her face. I painted her blue skinned face and hair before she realized what I was doing.
Once I finished her portrait I looked at her for approval.
"Ian... it's beautiful."
I immediately blushed a little, and handed her the paintbrush. "Wanna give it a try?"
She looked at my hand, then smirked, taking the paintbrush and going to work. She painted her signature and my portrait, her painting much better than mine in my opinion.
She finished up and looked at me, smiling. We both talked until the day was over, and when we boarded the bus we were closer than before. I couldn't believe it was so easy. I had been so nervous around (y/n) before I talked to her, but now..
It just felt natural.
Now is the time.
"Hey.. uh.. (y/n).. I was wondering; would you want to come over and hang out tonight? My brother and I are playing Quests of Yore and all and.. I though you m-might be into that stuff.."
Barley would be so proud of me for being able to mutter out a sentence like that.
"Oh, hell yeah! I LOVE Quests of Yore!" She giggled, jumping up and down in her seat.
I let out a breathy laugh, relieved she said yes.
Here we go.