Chapter 6

YOUR POV
Well damn.
I didn't expect anything like that to happen at Ian's but it did.
Reality was starting to set in and I took a deep breath.
I walk downstairs, hand in hand with Ian (who, by the way, is an AMAZING kisser).
My heart had been beating out of my chest since we were up in his room, and it didn't give me a break when we were seated at the dining room table, notepads in hand, writing out characters for Quests of Yore.
A long night was ahead of us, and I was excited to see where it would go.
~*~
"I cast on thee... Voltar Thunderstir!!" Barley held his fist above the table and dropped three dice, each of them landing on a high number.
Ian and I groaned playfully as Barley laughed in victory.
"I win! Once again!" He chuckled and walked to his little brother, giving him a noogie. "I beat my brother- and his giiiirlfriend" he teased, then.
"Ah! Stop it Barley-" Ian laughed, and I noticed he didn't deny his brother's claim.
What did that mean for us?
Suddenly we heard a thump come out of the room under the stairs. We all turned our heads towards the door.
"W-what was that?" Ian stood up and peeked over the table to see the door.
"Who knows?" Barley said, however he seemed just as concerned as we were. "I've got tons of crap in there, something's probably bound to make noise."
"It doesn't sound good.." I turned my head to face the boys. I must've looked worried because Ian put his hand on my knee for comfort.
His eyebrows furrowed. "Barley?"
We both looked at him and he held his arm out protectively toward me and Ian, then touched the doorknob on his door. Once he realized it wasn't hot he turned it slowly. Ian and I stood, and he gingerly pushed me behind him to protect me.
While I appreciated the carefulness of his actions, I wanted to see what was going on. I peeked over his shoulders.
"OH MY GOD!" Barley's voice came booming from his room, and a small "bang!" Echoed the house.
"Barley!" Ian and I said simultaneously, then rushed to the room where his brother was.
We both sighed in relief when we saw he was alright. Or...heard. Barley was laughing, excited about his new discovery.
"Oh you guys aren't going to BELIEVE this!!"
He held up an iridescent orb, presenting it to the both of us while holding it as gingerly as a baby bird. Ian and I exchanged confused looks, then went back to look at Barley.
"Uh... what is it?" I asked.
"What is it?!!! Oh you young mage. Amateurs, am I right?" Barley chuckled to nobody in particular. Ian went to touch the orb, only to have it swooped out of his grasp by his brother.
"Careful! This is a mermaid's scale stone. The rarest in all the land, only hatched by the limited edition Dragon Egg Expansion pack from Quests of Yore!" He brought it close to his face to get a closer look. "My Dragon Egg has been incubating for months- I can see why now!"
"So... it's a prop in your game?" Ian asked, Crossing his arms.
"A prop?!! Aha, you're funny," Barley placed the stone on the provided stand. We all looked at it.
"These gems are all genuine. Remember the paint job I saved up for, but you ended up getting anyway?"
Ian nodded.
"Well, that's what I spent that money on."
"What does it do?" I asked, looking at the older sibling and cocking my head to the side.
"Oh you wouldn't BELIEVE it!" He smiled and ran to the table, leaving me and Ian alone again.
"This is incredible!" I wowed over the little stone placed delicately on the table. I looked over at Ian and smiled, and he returned the gesture.
"It really is, ever since our quest I've always found this stuff kinda interesting." He agreed, scratching the back of his neck.
Barley shortly returned with his gameplay spell book, flipping through the pages and pointing when he reached the scale stone.
"Thy scale stone requires the use of only the most trained wizard. Said stone can enchant an object, heal wounds, affect emotions, gaze into the brain, and grant spells that change entire environments." Barley recited. "The mermaid scale stone may grant up to three of these uses before disintegration."
"Changing environments?" Ian questioned, looking at me. I shrugged. "What does that mean?"
"It means that if our town or world were in some sort of danger, peril, if the world was taken over by some sort of powerful being, then the mermaid scale stone could reset the world, erase the minds of the citizens of trauma, and everything could go back to normal." Barley explained. "However, for the spell to work a wizard must cast it from the highest point in the area. Like Raven's Point here in New Mushroomington."
"Wow." I marveled at the older brother's ability to figure all this out. "So... what will you do with it now?"
"Not sure. I guess just wait until we need it." Barley set the spell book down next to the stone, when suddenly it cracked. We all gasped and turned to the stone. Ian and I looked at Barley.
"Hey, I didn't touch it!" He said defensively.
"Wait-" Ian held his hand up. "It's still cracking- like it's some sort of...egg?"
I looked at Ian in fear, and he placed his hand on my shoulder for comfort.
One more crack and the stone-er-egg burst open. Light blinded us all, and Ian shielded my eyes with his arm, hugging me close in tight. We all screamed and ran from the room, looking back at the door.
Once the light died down we heard a cackle and a screech. A tall, slim, feminine creature came slithering out. Her hair was long, shiny and green and her arms were dotted with scales. She began to glow green and float in the middle of the house. The woman turned her head and darted her evil eyes between the three of us.
"Who hath awoken mine slumber??" Her voice boomed. It held the same energy as an evil queen, her words dripping from her mouth like blood. I yelped and buried myself into Ian's arms, in which he held me close and tight for protection.
"It- it cant be!" Barley gasped, and we looked him. "It's-"
"I am Princess Titania Cybele, mother of all who breathe and speak." Titania sneered. "I have come to your humble town to gain strength from its magic. Once awoken I drain magic from all those who possess it. I remain peaceful unless provoked. I grow stronger and larger with every-"
She was interrupted by a grunt, where Barley had thrown the table lamp at the woman.
"BARLEY!" Ian and I yelled, giving him a look.
"Oh, shit, sorry. Continue your majesty!"
Titania Cybele groaned and started to grow. Her green glow grew with her body, which was now almost too big to fit in the house.
"How dare you?!!" She cried, clenching her fists. Suddenly giant wings sprouted from her back, piercing the picture frames of the Lightfoots hung by the stairwell. Ian hugged me closer.
"You will pay for this, Lightfoots!" She sneered, then slithered her way through the door, crashing a giant hole in the front of the house and flying out toward the forest. Ian grabbed my hand as we all ran toward the front yard, watching as she flew away.
We stood there, watching in awe until she was out of sight.
"What do we do now?"
The two boys looked at me as I asked the question, standing straight, yet still feeling a little shaky.
"There's only one logical thing TO do..." Barley smirked, as if he'd seen dragon ladies crash in the front of his house so many times it didn't phase him anymore.
"Barley.. don't tell me.."
"A THREE PERSON QUEST!" He yelled, arms in the air and punching in celebration.
"Absolutely not!" Ian looked at me and squeezed my hand. "I know we've done this before, but that was incredibly dangerous. I'm not dragging (y/n) into this."
"Ian-" I looked at him and he looked at me. His dark blue eyebrows were furrowed. I took my hand and placed it on his chest. His heart was pounding.
"I can handle it." I smiled sheepishly, planting a small kiss on his lips. His heart rate stayed the same, but I could tell he was a little more relaxed.
"Are you sure about this?" Ian turned to Barley, who puffed his chest and placed his fists on his hips.
"More than anything!" He chuckled, looking at his brother for approval.
Ian looked down at me and smiled, seeing me nod an approval. He seemed to have his mind made up.
He placed a gentle hand on my hip and pulled me close, smiling courageously.
"Alright, lets go save our town."
Barley and I jumped up and down from excitement, and Ian couldn't help but laugh. We all celebrated until we heard a car door lock and beep. Laurel Lightfoot and The Manticore stood there, jaws wide open as the lioness held her car keys with one paw.
"Oh... uh.. hey mom!" Barley laughed nervously.
This'll be fun to explain.

IAN's POV
"Mom, this quest is for the greater good of the town!" Barley whined, and although he sounded like a child, he was right.
(Y/n) and I sat on the couch, snuggled together for comfort. She had already told her mother she was heading on a quest, and she had dropped by to give her a bag full of the things she needed.
It was kind of surprising how cool her mom was with this kind of thing.
"(Y/n)?"
I looked down to see her (e/c) eyes returning the look. "Yes, Ian?"
"Are you sure you're okay with all this? I know it's really sudden... but it means a lot."
"Of course I am!" She smiled widely. "Even so it gives me more time to spend with youuu.." she poked my chest and I could automatically feel my cheeks redden.
"So... what does this mean for u-"
Before I could finish my sentence, (y/n)'s ears perked up.
"Fine! I'll let you go. But please... please be safe." Mom had given in, and Barley smiled, hugging her and running to his room. "Iandore!! Get your staff, we're on our way!"
(Y/n) and I sat up. I got my staff and hugged my mom. She looked up at me.
"Be safe, my adult-man." She smiled wearily, and I planted a kiss on her forehead.
"Don't worry, mom. I will be." I smiled and turned to (y/n).
"You ready?"
"As ready as I'll ever be," she giggled. She waved to my mom as we made our way to Guinevere the II
I closed the van door behind us as we sat down.
"Can you believe it? Our day began with a nature hike and is now ending with an epic quest," she chuckled, turning her head to me. I smiled and nodded.
"Yeah, welcome to the Lightfoot clan. It's always insane around here!" I returned the laugh.
It went silent, and after a minute I felt her hand on top of mine.
I turned to see her facing me. Her (e/c) eyes were gorgeous in the sliver of moonlight that shone in the van windshield. Her beautiful lips curled into a smile as we both leaned in, our lips meeting once again that night for a passionate kiss.
"We shall return, Queen Lightfoot!" I heard Barley leave the house, and I broke the kiss. Who knows where it would've taken us if he had taken longer? Barley entered the drivers side door and looked in the rearview mirror. I think it was easy to say he knew what had just went down. 
"Jeez, teenage elves are horny," Barley chuckled, and I could feel my cheeks rise in temperature as he started the van and adjusted the gear.
"Onward!" He yelled, and Guinevere the II drove out of the driveway and towards Raven's Point.

Hey guys!

I hope you guys enjoyed! 

If you wouldn't mind, please let me know your criticisms and what you would enjoy seeing in the future (more adventure, cutesy scenes, smut ;) )!

I may be starting a one shot series depending on how well this story goes, so stay tuned!