Chapter 1: The morning hills

It was 5 o'clock in the afternoon when a bloodied Mitsubishi adventure pulled into the Himontagon Hill road. The vehicle looked like it was hastily armored: steel plates were bolted on over the wheels, a hastily-made bulbar fronted the bumpers, a screen mesh welded over the car windows, and on the top was a bolted on baggage compartment.

Despite the modifications however, the vehicle looked like it had suffered damage: the bull-bar was dented in places, the car suffered a cracked window, and it was scratched and dented all over, but otherwise the car was functioning, moving smoothly on its way up to the top of the hill.

Inside the vehicle, 5 guys were singing like they won the lottery. Well, in this infested world, they might as well have.

"Van, I told you, we'd get out safe right?!" The driver laughed victoriously.

"Yeah, you did, Luke. Holy crap, I can't believe we made it!" Ervan answered back.

"Fuck, I know right?" Jay Arr added.

"I told you, trust me. And we got out, right?" Daryl said.

"Holy fuck, I really couldn't believe it!" The last guy in the group, Carlos, chimed in as well. They had just scored a decent supply of food and water that would last their whole group a good 3 months, barely escaping a huge horde of zombies in the process. He pumped his fist in the air. "YES! That was incredibly dangerous, and we probably shit our pants, but damn, the adrenaline!!"

The vehicle, despite being dented, scratched, and cracked, seemed to run well. The group drove up to the top of the hill and parked inside an old abandoned house. There was an old water tank on its side, and its roof looked like it had been recently patched up. Inside the house were two girls, and one other guy. They got out to meet the boys, who had just arrived.

"Hey Jeb, how's it going?" Luke asked as he got out of the vehicle. He took one sad look at the battered car and sighed. "Man, she's seen better days. I'm gonna miss it a lot."

"Well you asked for a zombie apocalypse. You got yourself a zombie apocalypse." Jay Arr laughed grimly.

"Well it's been 2 months, 3 weeks and 5 days since a mysterious disease, dubbed the C-Virus, evolved into a brain – attacking parasite... which was quick, even for viral standards."

The C-Virus had easily infected everyone in the world, and in just a span of 8 months, evolved into a brain-attacking virus that caused anyone who got it to be deranged, angry, and constantly hungry, and crazy. True to the zombie – apocalypse stories, the only way to kill them was to cut off their head, or smash their brains. The government worked hard to find a cure... but only ended up with a vaccine, which they hastily distributed. By then it was too late. 70% of the entire world's population had turned into zombies – or were killed by them.

The Visayas Regions in the Philippines were luckier. Due to the islands being apart, not a lot of people had turned into zombies then; most of the zombie outbreaks were focused on the urban areas. Half the police had already been infected, and most of the military were stationed in their bases; meaning by the time the military got to the city, most of the population were already dead/undead.

And of course, Luke and his friends were not in the city when the outbreak happened; they were out camping. Three days out on the hills and they returned to a bloodied chaos. Naturally, the group were scared shitless; especially since they had no idea that the virus would've evolved so quickly. After the first hit (Which was nowhere near the city), they tuned to the radio just in time to hear that the whole city had just been attacked by a horde of zombies coming in from the beaches.