Chapter 6: Dreams

~(Y/N) P.O.V.~

Thunder crashing outside my window woke me up from a deep sleep. The little digital clock on my bedside table said 3:33 a.m. in bright green glowing numbers. I groaned as I got out bed, my bladder telling me to hurry. Using the walls as guidance, I shuffled my way into my bathroom. I relieved myself and washed my hands before heading back to bed. I pulled my covers back to climb into bed when lightning flashed, revealing a black figure standing in the corner of my room by the door. I backed away and hit my hip on the table next to my bed. I yelped in pain, and another flash of lightning showed the figure again. It was in the middle of my room now. The thing had extremely long arms with twig-like hands almost touching the floor. Ribs poked out of the sides of the creature, its bodily features warped to be too long and too skinny.

"Wh-what the h-hell?" I stammered.

Everything suddenly went silent, outside and in the house. No rain or thunder, no creaks or groans of the house. It was like the whole world was paused but me. I was panting, frantically grabbing my phone and turning on the flashlight. I turned it on and looked around the room. Nothing was there, not even a trace of the creature.

Until I felt something wet drip onto my forehead. I wiped it off with my hand and inspected it. Blood. My breath caught in my throat and my knees felt weak. Silent tears ran down my face as my shaky hands tilted the phone to shine light on what I did not want to see. But before I could look at the creature, cold, bony fingers wrapped around my neck.

I shot up in my bed, screaming and flailing. The morning sun shined through my blinds, casting stripes of light and shadow on my bed. I laid back down on my bed trying to catch my breath while wiping the sweat off of my face. What the hell was that?

After I calmed myself down, I got up to start my day. Today would be the first day at my new job. I headed to the bathroom to get ready. When I looked in the mirror, I noticed purple markings on my neck. My mouth opened in shock as I traced the clumps of bruises around my throat. The made lines like fingers, like something choked me. Was it not a dream after all?

No matter what theory I mustered up to explain the markings, none were realistic enough to make sense. I put on some music to block out my thoughts to avoid making myself paranoid. The bruises on my neck were almost invisible after putting concealer on them. After getting dressed and ready, I rummaged through my cabinets in the kitchen for something to eat. I grumbled when I couldn't find anything good, so I extended my search to the fridge.

A small tupperware container was sitting on the top shelf. I took it down and there was a note on the lid.

Hey Babes,
Njoy the Cinny roll
Ther wuz 1 left

~Beej

I smiled at his scrawly writing but my inner writer died at the awful spelling. Inside of the container was an over-glazed cinnamon roll from yesterday morning. I heated it up in the microwave and had it for breakfast. For some reason, I didn't want to throw the note away. It was just a yellow sticky note, why would I want it? I stuck it to the fridge and patted it proudly. I grabbed my keys and purse, locked the door, and drove to work.

************************************

The small bell at the top of the door rang as I walked in.

"Oh, hello (Y/N). Welcome to your first day," Luna said with a warm smile.

"Hi Luna!"