Chapter twenty eight.

I should be long dead by now. To say every single fibre in my body has been set aflame, right now, would be a bad lie, an understatement. Fuck! I don't even know what kind of excruciating torment I'm in anymore.

Maybe, it's because of the fact that my whole entire face is all broken skin and bruises, and my lips may be non-existent, my nose is oozing out blood, and because my left eye feels smaller than my right, chances are that, I have a black eye.

Matteo has been repetitively punching the living shit out of me, for the past ten minutes straight. He just said, screw the no-hitting-women principle, the fucker! He really is enjoying his bloody ass.
Maybe, the immense pain is due to the fact that both my arms are now bleeding, and profusely at that.

Reina decided that she'd slice the skin on my other arm as well, only this time, she opted to slit it from my elbow all the way down to my wrist. I've lost a lot of blood, and my throat is perched from all the screeching and shrieking I've been doing for the past hour.

Maybe, it's all due to the fact that Reina successfully managed to drive six fucking nails into the flesh on my right thigh, or maybe, the hurt is due to the fact that Barbara decided to, not only break all the toes on my left foot, but to also shatter my entire left leg, by continuously striking it with some heavy piece of wood. My leg is bent in the wrong direction, still strapped to the pole. No, I should have already died or passed out from the repeated tortures.

Emotionally, physically and psychologically, I am so fatigued. Reina's taunted me, implanted all sorts of sick, twisted ideas in my head, Barbara's teased me to a point beyond vulnerability and shear fragility, and now, my head is hanging low, breathes ragged, laboured and unsteady. I am ready to throw in the towel, call it quits with my own life, drink the bittersweet cup of demise, because they've shattered my being to the point of no return.

Never, and I mean never, have I yearned for death, so bad, up until now. I have two lives sprouting and blossoming inside me, but not even that knowledge, is enough to keep me going. I am human, weak, frail, hopeless, and on the verge of death, so yes, I've given up! As the thoughts continue to engrave themselves in the deepest pits of my mind, a tear slips, then another, then another, until I finally break down into full-blown sobbing.

I am fucking vulnerable, fucking pathetic, couldn't do anything to protect my own children! They said I'm a terrible mother for that, both Reina and Barbara, and I agree. Funny thing is, neither one has attempted to punch me in the gut, or cause me any kind of hurt that'd most likely terminate the pregnancy.

Reina's standing right in front of me, all smiles, eyes trained on the rivulets cascading down my face. She's holding the syringe that contains the brown liquid in one hand, and a loaded gun in the other. Matteo just finished punching me a while back, and decided to exit the room in all his glory. Suddenly, several gunshots rent, disturbing the silent night, and effectively brewing confusion between the two blonde bimbos.

I'm not really sure they're gunshots though, because at this point, I might as well be hallucinating from all the trauma I've endured.
Both Barbara and Reina storm out of the room, as my breathes grow a tad bit heavier. After what feels like an eternity for dangling and waiting, Reina budges back, with tears streaming down her pale skin, ruining her dark makeup.

"He killed her! That imbecile executed Barbara. He fucking shot her in the head thrice, murdered her on the spot!" She screams, chokes on a sob, pulls frustratedly on her finely-curled locks, before suddenly, her gaze snaps in my direction, whilst she sniffs.
I watch, with almost shutting eyes, as she matches up to me, then stabs the syringe into the pulse on my neck with shaky fingers, emptying all contents into my artery.

Just when she's done pulling the needle out, she coughs out thick, dark, scarlet liquid, that spits onto the skin on my face. She stands there for a second or two, mouth dribbling, and eyes bulging out of their sockets, before her limp body falls on her knees, her head settling against my leg. At the contact of her skull against my broken foot, I let out a groan, a grunt, then a whimper.

That's when I see the silver dagger sticking out through her lower back, and of course, the person responsible for her brutal murder, Leandro. He gently frees my hands and feet, and with all my energy depleted, I fall against his chest, dirtying the front of his shirt.

"What has she done to you, Eva. Don't you close your eyes on me, àmórè! Hold on, please, please, Eva. Don't you die on me, you made a promise," he begs, eyes watery, as he scoops me cautiously, and walks us out of the building.
He makes his way over to the car, a safe distance from the church, and just at that very moment, a loud explosion raptures the chilly night from behind us.

"Stay with us, Eva. Please, stay with us," Costello's pleading voice infiltrates my ears, while Giovanni works to open the doors for Leandro. Leandro sits me on his thighs, tries his best not to hold me because of all the open punctures on my body.
"You'll be okay, àmórè. Just hold on a little longer. Do it for the twins, for me. You said you were all in, remember? Please, Eva, I am begging you."

I can only offer him a ghost of a smile, as I fight my own self, to keep my eyelids from shutting. That is when my heart palpitations rapidly heighten, and I begin struggling to inhale and exhale normally. My chest cavity feels constricted, like some invisible, vengeful force is gradually wrapping around my body, compressing me, wringing the life out of my fragile frame.

"What's going on. Eva, àmórè no, no, no! You will not die on me! I will not lose you! Drive faster Lucio, come on!"
Oh, but the gnawing ache in my chest, it hurts so fucking bad. I want to breath, need to inhale the air, to exhale deeply, but my body's shutting down.

Nanoseconds tick into seconds fleet into minutes, and finally, the vehicle screeches to an abrupt halt. Leandro cautiously alights the car with me in his arms, and makes his way into the building, desperately yelling and calling out for any form of assistance.
"Someone help us! My fiance is dying!"
His voice, always tranquil, is now laced with concern, coated in panic.

Nurses sprint in our direction, wheeling a stretcher, and carefully, gently, Leandro lays me over it. Now, I can only see the blurred images of the persons surrounding me, and hard as I try, I can't clearly make out Leandro's words. Only vaguely watch him help wheel me towards the operation theatre.

"Sir, you will have to wait outside. She needs to undergo an operation right now."
He runs both palms over his face, blows out a shaky breathe, stares down at me, then back up at the source of the voice. I'd give anything to comfort him, but how do I do so, when I'm the cause of his sorrow?
Shortly after, the blurry image of a person dressed in all white, walks into the room and towards where I'm lain, with the doors behind him swinging shut.

"She's lost a lot of blood, and there's hardly any blood type o's left in the blood banks. Hurry up, and carry out a blood test to determine her blood group, then arrange for a blood transfusion this instant!" He commands, and one of the nurses briskly exits the room.

My ears can only pick up the faint sound of his voice, as if from a distance, like an echo in a cave, that goes on, and on, and on.
Then, comes the darkness, the void emptiness, the consuming feeling of peace, as my body finally gives in to temptation, and my eyelids fall shut. Serenity...

Please don't forget to comment and click the little star at the bottom ❤️❤️