Chapter 1

I watch as the rain hits the window harshly and bite my lip. The rain always gets me down, I'm no sunshine girl but the rain is what keeps me confined to my little room. And I'd rather be anywhere else than
"Maria Catharina Gonzalez, get down here now!"
I pick up my bag and bounce out of my room and down the stairs towards a fuming Stella.
"How many times have I told you that Papi and I don't pay for you to be late?"
"I'm sure if you tell me a few
More times it'll finally stick" I bend low and place a single kiss on her cheek.
"I don't know what to do whit you chika" she laughs and hands me some dollar bills for lunch.
I move around here and run towards my run down truck.

I trudge through the hallways humming lightly along to The Fray as their sound fills my ears through my speakers. I stop in front of the front desk and smile at the plump little lady always awaiting my arrival.
"I see you've come twenty minutes late, what happened, you were feeling pity for the teachers?"
I shake my head and smile.
"Can I please get my detention slip, I don't like the idea of missing classes."
She rolls her eyes and hands me the familiar pink slip.
I blow her a little kiss and saunter to class.

"Miss Gonzalez. Nice to know that you cared to actually show up today."
I take my seat and stick a tongue out at the teacher. I place my phone down on the table and look out the window deep in thought.
I feel a hand on my shoulder and I turn to see a crimson faced guy with a white paper on his hand.
"Hi..um..um. She, she told me to give you...this"
I smile and snatch the paper from his weak and nervous grasp.

YOU WON'T GUESS WHAT BERNEY DID LAST NIGHT.
I roll my eyes and tuck the paper into my bra. At times Chelsea would act stupid but I always thought there was a little bit of genius in her and now I feel like slapping myself for believing in crap.

"Aria!"
I turn and wink at Chelsea as she runs to keep up with me.
"So last night Berney showed up at my place, but he came with a bunch of roses and shit." she chewed her gum with more effort than anyone should and I watched as mouth opened and closed smacking the gum into different shapes.
"Don't tell me you fell for that bullshit" I hiss.
"It ain't bullshit. Then a guy shows up with roses, you know that guy's the ish"
"This is Berney we're talking about and he isn't the ish. He's a disgusting perve and you of all people should know that" I spit.
"Why you always all up in my business like this, huh? Friends are meant to be supportive, I don't know which guy bit you ass last night."
I rub my head and frown.
"I'm sorry, I've just been doing a lot of thinking lately."
"Tell me you aren't still worried about Malcolm"
I shake my head and then turn away.
"Where you going to?"
"I got detention"