Our Story (Merthur)

//Author's Note: I do not own Merlin or the characters that are in the show. I do not own any of the song lyrics that are mentioned. Any sentences between "//" and "\\" mean it is I, the author, speaking or making a comment. Some of the story details in the beginning are inspired by a mix of other Merthur stories. Besides that, the plot is mind. I don't own most of the characters. 

Gwaine is alive because he is my special bean and he deserves to live.

Also featuring Percival x Gwaine

This is a sort of Modern AU. Basically, it's a fan fiction of what I think would be season 6 of Merlin, if it were to continue.\\

"You're leaving so soon?" An unexpected voice spoke from behind the warlock. 

Merlin turned to face Gwaine. He had a sad look on his face. Pretty much everyone in Camelot was upset about the death of King Arthur but Merlin was one of the most affected by the king's death. He had been the one there when he died, after all. Merlin just wasn't himself anymore. Not without Arthur. Not without a purpose. 

The raven-haired man gave a small smile to his friend, "I'll be back, Gwaine. I promise." 

"Good. It'll be no fun without you around," the drunkard whined. 

Merlin shook his head. "You'll survive."

"I always do," Gwaine grinned.  

"Besides, you have every other knight to fool around with." 

Gwaine pouted, "they're not as fun as you."

A small laugh. "Goodbye, Gwaine." 

With a last glance at one of his best friends, Merlin started the long journey ahead of him. But the promise Merlin gave was broken. For Merlin couldn't return. How could he? He had lost too much in Camelot. His job was complete as was his destiny. Merlin wasn't able to bring himself to go back to Camelot and before he knew it, the kingdom was gone. Everything he once knew was gone. 

~~

"Merlin! Come on! We're gonna be late!"

"We're already late, Katie!"

"And we are getting more late each second you spend in there," came the response.

The bathroom door opened to reveal a young, black haired man standing inside. He wore a red shirt with a brown, leather jacket and a blue neckerchief. The young woman standing on the other side of the door burst out laughing.

"You look ridiculous!" She laughed. "Where did you even get those clothes?"

Merlin crossed his arms over his chest, an annoyed but loving smile on his face. "I dunno. I'm not even sure why I have these," he said honestly, shaking his head.

Katie laughed wildly. "Well. You definitely look like you'll fit in at the fair."

"If we ever get there," Merlin snickered.

"Right! Let's get going. I really don't wanna be late. Not that we already are, but still."

Together, Katie and Merlin made their way out of Merlin's small home to Katie's car. They were on their way to King Rick's Fair, a medieval themed place where people would go, dress up like they did back then and pretend they're from that time. Katie had convinced Merlin to go with her and meet up with her friends. She had said that he really needed to get out more often. 

Merlin, Katie had noticed, wasn't very sociable. He mostly kept to himself but was a rather lovable person. 

Katie had met Merlin for the first time when she went over to her boyfriend Jim's house when Merlin was babysitting Jim's younger sister Nicole.