Part VIII

Hinata heard Kageyama's breath turn shallow.

     "Five." Hinata's feet fidgeted, readjusting on the bench. He set his arms down on Kageyama's shoulders precariously, leaning on him a little. Kageyama stood as still as a statue.

     "Four." Hinata's voice sounded too hopeful for his liking. Kageyama kept breaking eye contact, glancing over Hinata's shoulders and lowering his gaze. As if he was nervous.

     "Three." Hinata swallowed. His heart was about to burst out of his chest. Kageyama was killing him, looking so beautiful and vulnerable in the moonlight.

     "Two." Hinata leaned forwards. And then suddenly, Kageyama grabbed Hinata's chin softly.

     "One," Kageyama interrupted Hinata's countdown. He pressed his mouth into Hinata's, like a whisper.

     And then he drew back, holding Hinata as if he was scared to break him. Hinata's heartbeat echoed in his ears and his mind was thundering.

     "Was that okay?" Kageyama looked unsure of himself for a second.

     "Yeah, I mean, yes." Hinata nodded. It was more than okay. "Can we, um, try it again so I can be sure?"

     "You little shit." Kageyama poked Hinata's nose. Hinata let out a short, joyful laugh. Out of all the possibilities, he never would've believed he'd be kissing Kageyama in a cold, wonderfully empty and dark park.

     Kageyama smiled. And then they were kissing again. It felt like fireworks and stars but also the bottom of the ocean and the top of the sky all at once. And Hinata understood the phrase "weak in the knees". He was about to fall over. Without warning, Kageyama wrapped an arm around Hinata's back and pressed them together. Hinata melted into Kageyama, needing the support and the touch. Hinata could also feel Kageyama's heart beating rapidly and how dramatically he was shaking. Hinata couldn't help but smile.

     "Alright boke, we should keep walking," Kageyama ran a hand through Hinata's hair softly. He was still breathing shallowly and blood flushed his cheeks. He looked startling and alluring in the dark, making Hinata's neck flush. "C'mon."

     "Okay." Hinata was breathless. Kageyama offered a hand to him, almost like a knight. Hinata accepted and jumped off the bench. He wasn't sure if he would've been able to take any more kissing. He might've spontaneously combusted.

     "I'm sorry for slapping you." Kageyama picked up Hinata's bags of the grass. He handed them over to the middle blocker and grabbed his own. "And for yelling. I was being stupid and overwhelmed. You're not cruel, I was just mad at myself for liking you. I'm still mad. Of all the people, I like you. That seemed cruel of fate."

     "I was mad too," Hinata admitted. He thought back to their yelling match which sobered him up enough off the high of kissing Kageyama. Make no mistake, he would never get enough of that. "I never thought you'd actually like me and I guess I went into shock when you confessed. Oh, and denial. And I just had a lot of things to say that came out."

      "I'm still in shock." Kageyama shouldered his bag as they continued walking.

     "How about we were both being stupid?" Hinata suggested. He felt that way at least. "Because that seems likely."

     "Alright, boke. You were definitely being stupid. So was I. Let's try not to kill each other again. But I wanna make it clear I didn't want to hurt you. I was - I was angry. At you and me. Mostly me." Kageyama was serious. 

     "I know." Hinata knew it. The fact Kageyama was apologizing meant he really was sorry. Typically Kageyama just slapped him and insulted him during practice, and never thought twice about it. Kageyama hadn't let go of Hinata's hand. Hinata squeezed Kageyama's hand, rewarded with Kageyama blushing. Even though it was dark, Hinata could see the red tint on the setter's face.

     "Blushing? We just kissed!" Hinata teased Kageyama. He swung their connected arms around joyfully. 

     "Oh shut up." Hinata lifted up their hands and kissed Kageyama's knuckles. Kageyama's blush deepened.

     "Just to clarify," Kageyama hesitated. His voice sounded hopeful. As if they hadn't screamed and slapped and kissed each other already. "Will you go out with me Hinata?"

     "Sure. On the condition we can play volleyball a bit," Hinata replied easily.

     "On the condition you'll be my boyfriend," Kageyama replied just as easily. Hinata couldn't understand how this boy could be so smooth and so dense at the same time. He blushed at holding hands but could casually propose them bring boyfriends? Hinata sputtered out something unintelligible.

     "You said you wanted to date me, didn't you? Be my boyfriend?" Kageyama was teasing Hinata, and ran his finger over Hinata's knuckles. "What did you say a while ago? Aren't setters supposed to match up for spikers?"

     "As you would say, you little shit," Hinata fired back. "But I accept your conditions."

     "Alright." Kageyama and Hinata reached the crosswalk where they parted. Hinata's chest felt lighter than it had in weeks. Even though his cheek was still aching and there were tear stains on his shirt, he was happy. Really happy.

     "Hey, boke." Kageyama stopped. He took off his jacket and tossed it to Hinata. "Wear this. You look cold." Hinata pulled it on and in his opinion, it fit him perfectly.

     "Thank you," Hinata, mustering courage, pressed onto the top of his toes and kissed Kageyama's cheek. Kageyama grinned, and the sight warmed Hinata down to his toes. But he'd never tell Kageyama that, he wanted to keep the jacket. Kageyama could have something else. Hinata's jacket, or a kiss, or a date. Next to anything. He already had Hinata's heart, not that Hinata would tell that to the setter. Despite all his stupid yelling, slapping, and crying, Hinata knew, deep down, that setter had his heart and Hinata was in no position to ask for it back. It seemed to only beat for Kageyama, and asking for it back would be asking for the impossible.