Prologue Part 1

-SUNSET'S POV-

I opened my eyes to see sunlight filtering through the half-closed blinds of the window in front of me. I yawned and stretched, then I rolled over attempting to fall back asleep.

All of a sudden, my eyes shot open. My heart was racing as I bolted upright looking around. This isn't my room?!

Then I remembered where I was. I was staying with my Aunt and Uncle in the Crystal Empire for the summer. I reached my hand over to my nightstand where my phone was.

Grabbing my phone, I clicked a button, watching the screen light up. Alarmed, the first thing my eyes met was the time.

9:23.

I never woke up this late, not even during summer. My eyes trailed down the screen, no new notifications.

Sighing, I placed my phone back onto the nightstand. I lifted myself upright, my feet touching the cold hardwood floor. As I was about to lift myself up, I heard my ringtone 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' go off. Uncle Silver Stratosphere had called. "Uncle Silver?" I asked, my voice tinted with curiosity.

Uncle Silver sighed and said "Sunset, I'm sorry to say this but your aunt has gotten worse, we need you over here..."

"Is she okay?" Worry overtook curiosity and I took a deep breath and waited for an answer.

He let out another sigh, this one a longer than the last, "I wish I could say she was but- I'm afraid she really isn't. The doctor said her pneumonia has gotten a lot worse, her lungs got infected from the amount of fluids in them. They are going to have to remove the infection through surgery, she said she wants you there while they do it."

"When are they doing it?"

"In about a half an hour, I really hope to see you then," he responded. Before I could say anything more, I lifted my phone away from my ear realizing he hung up. If he was at the hospital, perhaps someone needed to talk to him. I tossed my phone back onto my bed and stretched.

Getting out of bed, I rushed over to my closet and grabbed some black jeans, a white shirt, and black hoodie with an orange phoenix on it. I slid the hair tie on my wrist down to my fingers as I put my hair into a ponytail.

I grabbed my phone and rushed downstairs, taking an apple from the fruit basket. I ran out the door, looking around for the nearest bus stop. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going and ran into something, or rather someone.

I looked up, the woman had chest-length white hair with modern purple streaks. She wore a gray shirt with three purple stars on it, each a different size than the others. She was a lot taller than me, I felt a little intimidated.

"I-I'm so sorry, ma'am... I- I wasn't looking where I was going and-" I started to apologize, but was cut off by a kind voice.

"That's quite alright, hun, you seem a little distressed, may I ask what has you rushing?" She seemed nice enough, and although Aunt Dawn tells me not to trust strangers, she seems like she could help.

"I... well it's just that my aunt... she's having surgery and I have to be there in..." I trailed off. I looked over to my phone, the lock screen was a picture of a rose with water droplets sliding off of it. In white numbers the time said 9:38. "... 22 minutes." I finished what I was saying, my voice quavering a little.

She looked at me with sympathetic eyes and that's when I realized there was another person standing right beside her. She had an indigo-purple hair color with two streaks of magenta and soft purple, she wore glasses with thick black frames. She was a little shorter than me and looked about 15. She looked at me with curiosity, as our eyes met she immediately flicked her eyes back up to who I'm assuming is her mother.