fifty four

"that jacket isn't warm enough."

harry jumped as he was pulled back into the flat by an arm wrapped around his waist, gently.

"i'm fine," harry smiled sheepishly, lowering his head and staring at the floor. he was wearing a pair of fuzzy black boots.

"your cheeks are flushed," louis murmured, kissing each side of his face before placing one more kiss on his nose. "kitten's too cold to go outside."

"i was only outside for a second," harry laughed, a blush rising to his cheeks by the way louis was holding him. he was caught off guard when louis pulled his coat off his own shoulders and wrapped it around harry's, sending warmth throughout his whole body. he shivered at the temperature change, smiling foolishly as louis hugged the coat around him.

"too cold outside," louis whispered.

harry nodded. 

"now let's go get our christmas tree, shall we? i'm hosting a christmas party."

harry pulled back in surprise. "really? but your flat's so.. small, lou."

"so is my group of friends," louis chuckled, and harry laughed along with him, giggling and stumbling as louis pulled them both down the stairs and out the door of the building. snow covered the ground, the trees, and the cars in the parking lot. harry could tell just by the weather that christmas was coming in less than a week.

"harry, do you think it's a good idea to host my own birthday party?" louis asked, genuinely curious. louis was holding both of their hands over the vents, letting the air warm their skin. his car smelled of leather and honey, just that musky scent that was louis. harry could even smell part of the football field, grass and that, a part that louis had brought with him into his car. the floors were spotless except for an occasional penny or gum wrapper. harry had to drive since louis still had on his boot.

"i think it's a good idea," harry said quietly, turning the key in the ignition. the car roared to life, and he turned on the windshield wipers to get rid of the pieces of snow blocking his view. "are you dressing up for it?"

louis turned his head to look at harry as they pulled out of the parking lot. "what do you mean, am i dressing up? do you want me to be santa claus?" he scrunched up his nose, in this adorable way.

"i'm dressing up," harry whispered, staring ahead with wide eyes at the wonderland in front of them. it wasn't snowing so hard that they couldn't see, but it was pretty... white. it wasn't dark enough to see any christmas lights, and harry couldn't wait until it was night and the city and houses would be lit up with rainbow and yellow lights. he loved the way they reflected off the sparkling snow.

"what are you dressing up as, an angel?"

harry turned the wheel, listening to the turn signal clicking, a sound he absolutely loved for no reason whatsoever.

"no. i'm not telling you," harry huffed. "i want you to see on your birthday."

louis just smiled, leaning over a little and kissing harry's cheek softly. "as you wish," he whispered.

harry smiled to himself, looking at his lap with his eyes closed for just a second before looking back at the road. he liked that he didn't have to be on guard with louis anymore. louis used to yell at him every other sentence, but once he started taking his medicine regularly, it just, stopped. the odd thing was, harry kind of missed that sassy, mean side of louis. he had no idea why. maybe it was because that part of louis, that part he saw when he was just a sophomore; he fell in love with that just as much as the other parts of him. and he hoped louis would never lose that spunk, that sass that was still there, just not as harsh.