Bailing Little Brother Out

Jake was pacing back and forth in his living room, unable to relax. It was 1 a.m. and his youngest brother, 17 year old Ryan, did not return home yet. Horrible scenarios kept playing through his mind. Did Ryan get hurt? Was he in an accident? It is not like him to be late and not call. He won't even answer his phone!

Although Jake just recently had his 25th birthday, he has been caring for his two younger brothers for as long as he could remember. With a pill-popping mom that ultimately left when he was 10 years old and an abusive alcoholic father, Jake vowed to always keep his brothers safe. He hated feeling that things were so out of his control right now. If only Ryan would call him back! Jake could tell that even Nate, his 21 year old brother, was getting nervous. Nate kept trying to console him, which was irritating Jake even more.

"It's going to be ok Jake. I'm sure Ryan's alright. He probably just lost track of time," Nate insisted.

Jake dropped to the floor and pumped out thirty push ups, hoping it would ease some of the tension coursing through him. When the push ups were completed, he immediately went into sit ups. He was in the middle of a sit up when his cellphone rang. It was an unknown number, but Jake snatched it and answered hastily hoping it was Ryan.

"Hi, is this Jake Bates?"

"Yes, this is Jake," he said quietly as dread filled him. No one calls at past midnight to deliver good news.

"This is Officer Mark Hayes with the Pineview Police Department. Unfortunately, I have your brother Ryan with me now. He was picked up this evening with a few of his friends. They were at the park in town and had beer with them."

Shit! Silence followed the officer's statement.

"Sir, are you there?"

"Uh....y...yeah," stammered Jake while running his free hand nervously through his short brown hair.

"We're going to need you to come to the station to get him. We're letting him off with a warning this time, but if it happens again charges will be filed."

"Ok, thanks. I'll be right there," Jake muttered. Jake felt a lot of emotions in that moment. He was relieved that Ryan was not hurt, but he was disappointed in Ryan's choices. How could he act so recklessly? Jake could feel the anger beginning to burn inside him. This whole time Jake was scared and worried, and Ryan was out getting drunk with his friends! He really acted like a spoiled brat at times. It seems like he forgot all about the childhood struggles and all the sacrifices Jake and Nate made for him.

"What happened," questioned Nate.

Jake did not answer Nate right away. He was too busy trying to control his temper. Jake really wished he had time to go for a run or pound it out on the punching bag in the gym so he could calm himself. Adding to his frustration, he heard Nate's voice again.

"Jake, what's going on? Is Ryan ok?"

"Our little brother apparently got caught drinking at the park with his friends," Jake growled while clenching his fists. "He's feeling just fine. Now I have to pick him up from the police station."

"Maybe I should go get him," Nate said nervously.

"And why would you get him? I'm his legal guardian," Jake barked.

"You just look....upset. Like you need to go workout or something. That's all I meant!" Nate was holding his hands up trying to calm Jake. Nate was generally the mediator of the three brothers. Both of his siblings were hot-headed when it came to their tempers.

"I'll be back with Ryan." With that Jake slammed the door of their apartment.

                                                                          ***************