7.

"JJ, please put down the gun," Cassidy tells the boy shakily. Tears were brimming in her eyes but her gaze stayed focused on the blond boy. JJ turned his head and sends her an apologetic smile before turning back to Topper and pressing the gun harder against his head. 

"Put the gun down," Sarah screamed, looking at JJ desperately.

"Did you say something Princess?" JJ called back angrily. 

"We're good. We're good," Topper reassured JJ, releasing his grip on John B and holding his hands in the air. John B struggled to crawl out of the water and gasped for breath. Despite the threat of the gun, Cassidy ran forward, grabbing onto John B and dragged him from the ocean. She held John B's head on her lap and allowed him to cough up all of the water he had inhaled. She ran her fingers through his hair reassuringly as his breathing slowly returned to normal. Once she was sure John B was going to be okay, she turned her attention back to JJ. 

"Okay everyone, listen up! Get the hell off of our side of the island!" JJ yelled before shooting three bullets into the sky. So much for laying low. The deafening sound of the gun shook Cassidy to her core, but she stayed with John B, not wanting to leave the boy alone. The crowd quickly dispersed and out of the corner of her eye, Cassidy saw Sarah pull Topper from the ocean and away from the boneyard. 

"Why would you do that!" Pope yelled in frustration.

"I was saving his life!" JJ reasoned, getting angrier that his friends didn't appreciate what he did for them.

"Stupid! You're going to jeopardize everything," Kiara yelled in frustration. 

John B slipped out of Cassidy's grasp and hit the sand with a thud. "Guys! He passed out."

...............

Cassidy pulled the covers over John B's unconscious body and brushed the hair back out of his face. She knew he was going to be okay, but that didn't stop her from being scared as hell seeing his limp body that was usually so full of life. She sat there holding his hand for what felt like hours. She had no idea what she would have done if he had died. She probably would have started off by grabbing the gun from JJ and shooting Topper in the head. Life without her "big brother" would have been miserable. No matter what, he managed to always be there for the small girl and she would never take him for granted ever again. 

After a while, her hunger overwhelmed her and she pulled herself away from the bed to see what food John B had in his fridge. Peering into the fridge, she was filled with disappointment as the only thing in his small fridge was a pack of beers and eggs that had expired over a month ago. Remind me to do some grocery shopping for him Cassidy thought to herself. She then remembered the bag of chips she had picked up for herself and JJ at the liquor store earlier that day. Cassidy walked out onto the porch and was surprised to find JJ lying in the hammock, with a lit joint in his hand. Sighing, she walked past the boy and towards the van where she had left the chips. 

"You mad at me too?" JJ questioned her softly

Opening the door of the van she sighed and responded, "What you did was stupid." She found the bag under one of the seats and shut the van door looking at the boy in the hammock. She didn't think she had ever seen him look so upset before other than when it involved his dad. Guilt rushed through her and before she could stop herself she added, "But I understand why you did it. So no, I'm not mad." The boy gave her a small smile and she walked towards the hammock and offered the boy the bag of chips.

"My favorite. Thank you," he smiled softly and motioned for the girl to join her in the hammock. He passes the bag back to her and she eagerly munches on the chips in silence. JJ couldn't help but stare at the girl as she ate the chips, watching the way her face lit up when she took the first bite and the way her hair framed her tanned face. In his opinion, everything about her was perfect. 

"What?" She asked quietly after catching the blond boy looking at her. 

"Nothing. I'm just really sorry," JJ responds, placing his hands over his face and sighing. Cassidy placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder and moved his hands away from his face, staring into his eyes.

"You have nothing to be sorry about. You did what you thought was right. Even though it was beyond stupid, you saved your friend. And that's what matters," she whispers, holding his chin to make him look at her. 

"No, you deserve someone better than me. I'm such a fuckup," he whispers, looking down and refusing to meet her eyes. A tear dripped down his cheek but Cassidy gently brushed it off with her sleeve. She wrapped her arms around the boy's shaking frame and rubbed circles on his back where his shirt had risen up. 

"You're not a fuckup. Without you, John B might be dead right now. You're one of the kindest, funniest, and most amazing people I've ever met. Don't ever think otherwise please," Cassidy assures him, squeezing him tighter. 

Without giving it much thought, Cassidy places a hand on the side of his face, positioning them so they are face to face again. She looked into his deep blue eyes that had always reminded her of the ocean that he loved so much, and then her gaze moved down to his lips. Following her gaze, he slowly leaned in so that their lips were brushing up against each others with their breaths mingling. Instinctively, Cassidy pressed her lips against the boy's and he kissed back immediately, placing his hands on her cheeks. Cassidy's hands roamed through his blond hair and pulled gently making him moan. Their kiss deepened quickly and his hands moved to her waist, tracing circles onto her hips. This felt like no kiss either of them had ever had before. No discomfort or awkwardness. This kiss just felt perfectly right. 

Pulling away from the kiss and pressing his forward onto hers, JJ muttered breathlessly, "I love you so goddamn much."

"I love you too," Cassidy smiled back, resting her head on his chest and resting her arm across his chest. The sway of the hammock mixed with the sound of JJ's heartbeat through his chest lulled Cassidy into a peaceful sleep. 

JJ however, stayed awake, watching the girl in his arms adoringly. Never in his life did he think he would be deserving of this angel that was sent to him. He smiled lightly at the girl, pulling her even closer to him as she snored quietly.

"I'm never going to let anything happen to you. I promise."

AN: Yay Cassidy and JJ finally had their first kiss!!! how do you guys feel about it and what would you like to see next. As always, stay healthy and happy:)