Chapter 2 - The Arrangement

~Valkyrie's P.O.V.~

"You can't do this!" I yell at my father and the servants pack all my stuff ready to travel.

"Oh yes, I can. And you will do it." He smirks. 

"The hell I will. I'm not going to marry some stranger because it benefits you."

"It benefits all of us."

"How?! You'll never be king of all Cordova. What's your endgame here?!"

"We will be united. We will have more food and clothes for our people."

"Nice try. I know you, you're planning something and I want no part of it. So I'm not marrying this turd."

"I am your father and king! You will do as I say!" He yells at me.

"OR WHAT?!" I yell back. His anger turns into an evil smirk and walks towards me.

"How is Maebell's family doing? I hear their crops were dying last year and they didn't profit so well. It'd be a shame for their farm to burn now that things are turning for the better."

"You're such an asshole."

"You will marry this man and you will report back to me everything he does and in return I don't burn your friend's farm down." He whispers. I wish I could just smack that smirk off his face. "Now run along, your future husband is waiting for you." I say nothing, I just grab my coat and leave.

I could see the disappointment on the new king's face when I arrive. He had his eyes on Margo. Every man did. She had beauty and wisdom. What more can a man want, right?

Even as I was walking to the horses to leave everyone could only look at Margo. I didn't envy her, I never liked attention so I would always try to sit next to her so people would talk to her and not me.

"Princess Valerie." The king began.

"Let's cut the bullshit. You don't want to be here, I don't want to be here. So why don't we just get this over with so I can get out of here, yeah? And don't call me princess, ok?"

"Ok, and get what over with?" He asks.

"The whole wedding thing."

"Oh we're not getting married now. I'm a king, we have to get married in my lands. Plus there has to be a ceremony."

"A what?" I ask in terror. I don't do fancy parties or weddings. I'd rather be in my room reading a book or painting. AWAY from people.

"You know, a big wedding for everyone to witness. So they don't think it's a sham. Like I wish it were."

"Excuse me?"

"No offense. But you have quite a reputation and not a good one. You don't like to follow rules, you're a wild card. You were not my first choice, Valerie."

"It's Valkyrie. And let me guess, Margo was your prize?" I scoff. "Men are so predictable. Always thinking with their dicks."

"The future queen ladies and gentleman. Talking and behaving like the barbarian she is." He says but only loud enough for me to hear. I was going to talk back but another man appears out of nowhere.

"We should leave before the sun sets, my lord." He was big and buff. 

"Yes." He dismisses his guard. "I hope you like long journeys. And I suggest you eat something. We are not stopping for anything or anyone." He starts walking away.

"You know men get cursed here for saying shit like that." I follow him.

"Foul mouthed and a witch now, too, Valerie?"

"I wish and again it's Valkyrie."

"Well, Valkyrie, I got a new name for you... Morgana." 

I frown, confused. "Is that supposed to be an insult? Cause it sucks. Is this a thing people do where you're from? Change names cause they don't like them?"

"Oh, no. Just to you. Cause you're annoying and I've only known you for 5 minutes. I can't wait to see how the next few days go. It'll be fun." He says sarcastically. "Also, I already know life with you is going to be hell and Morgana was an evil bitch, excuse me, witch."

"And who's got the foul mouth?"

"Still you, princess." He gets on his horse and starts leaving. I find my sisters and my friends to quickly say goodbye and ride on behind the new king.

**********************

Days passed until we finally reach Cordova

Days passed until we finally reach Cordova. And let's say, to no surprise, the people were not happy to see me. All you could hear was people booing and telling me to go back where I came from.

"Welcome to your new home, princess." The king says as he comes down from his horse.

"John, sweetheart." His mother greets him.

"Hello, mother." He hugs her. "This is--"

"An Aritrëan girl." She interrupts, looking at me with disgust. "Please tell me this isn't what I think it is." She looks back at her son.

"Mother, this is Morgana."

"It's actually Valkyrie, your highness."

"Morgana has a nicer ring to it." His mother says.

Is everyone here an asshole? Needless to say she doesn't fancy me. She walks away with her son but I could still hear their conversation.

"How could you bring her here? She's a barbarian!"

"I had no choice, mother. He did not want to sign the treaty."

"I will not have a half-blood barbarian heir rule these lands."

"I'm not going to bed her mother. We will get married and that is it. I can have an heir with another woman."

"I'm still here." I interrupt, letting them know I can hear them. She groans and leaves.

"Take her belongings to her room, and make sure she doesn't wander off." John, orders.

This was going to be my life now. Unwanted, unloved. And to think I was seconds away from freedom and he just walked right in asking for a damn wife. I go now from being unknown to the most hated woman in the world.