Chapter 1

Skidding down the hallway, he cursed himself for his carelessness. He was late, and on his first day.

"Oh snap! Oh snap!" He yelled as he raced down the hallways.

It was 8.29 a.m. and he was still a long way from the lab. As he made his way down the hallway, he slammed into someone. They both fell heads first onto the tiled floor, books flying everywhere.

"Ow, ow!" He yelped. "I am so sorry."

"It's okay." She said softly whilst tucking a strange of silver blond hair behind her ear.

He quickly helpedher gather her books. He glanced at them and saw they were the same as his.

"Are you also a first year med student?" He asked her curiously.

"Yeah." She simply responded.

"That's great!" He said enthusiastically. "That means you're also heading to the lab, right?"

"I was, actually. Till you knocked me off my feet." She said.

Immediately she realized how cheesy the statement sounded and turned scarlet in embarrassment.

"Uhm - I mean..." She stuttered.
He simply grinned whilst helping her to her feet.

"Don't worry, I get it." He said with a smile.

He was so warm and kind that she could not help but return his smile.

"I'm Lily, by the way." She said to him.

"Mic. Nice to meet you, Lily." He replied.

"Yeah, hold that thought. We have a class to get to and we are royally late." She said with a smile.

"Oh, yeah. We should probably get moving." He said.

They quickly made their way to the lab. The moment they sat down, the professor walked in.

"Greetings, everyone. I am professor Declan Poltraw and I will be taking you for anatomy." He said. "If you will all turn to page..."

Mic found himself zoning out. More than that. It felt as if something was pulling at his subconscious mind, calling to him. He tried to break free, shake it off but he found everything around him blacking out. Then he felt that unbearable sickness that has been plaguing him for days in the most odd moments overcome him. It felt as if his mind was trying to exist in two places at the same time.

Mic...

Who was that? He didn't know what was going on but he was certain that he knew that voice. Suddenly, he felt a hand on his shoulder and the next thing he knew his vision cleared and he found himself back in class. Lily was looking at him with a look of concern.

"You okay?" She asked him.

"Uhm... Y-yeah. I'm good." He replied with a stutter.

He wasn't. He blinked away his confusion and steadied his breathing.

"That's all for our introduction, ladies and gentleman." The professor said. "I'll see you again tomorrow."

Wait, what? There was no way he had zoned out for 90 minutes! He looked at his hands. He was shaking. Why was he shaking?

"Hey, earth to Mic!" Came a lovely little voice besides him. "You coming?"

He looked up at her.

"Sure, just give me a second." He said, gathering his stuff.

They join the rest of the procession of students that was headed towards the campus ward.

After changing into his scrubs, he made his way towards the rest of his classmates. This was one class he had mixed feelings about. Because who would enjoy operating on dummies given the 'dummy' in question was an actual dead body.

"Welcome, students. I am doctor Paulo Jordan." Their professor said in greeting.

Everyone knew who he was. Only the most famous Surgeon in the world with a total of fifty successful heart transplants, thirty successful lumbar punctures. Twenty eight successful hip surgeries. All in two years. He was the best in the trade and they will be his students.

"Now this class is not for the lighthearted." He continued. "From this point on I want you to toughen up because I will be teaching you how to do a heart transplant."

"But, doctor Jordan, doesn't that come in later chapters?" Someone asked.

"It does but I want to teach it to you first. See this procedure is one of the most difficult. If by the end of the semester you all can perform it then everything else will be less of a challenge. Wouldn't you agree?" He asked with a stern expression.

No one replied. They all looked in awe at him.

"Let's get one thing out of the way, shall we? You have to believe that you can successfully complete the procedure because if you lack confidence in your skill then your patient is as good as dead."

That didn't boost anyone's confidence.

"I need a volunteer. How about you there?" He said whilst pointing at Mic.

Mic immediately joined the doctor.

"What's your last name, young man?" The doctor asked.

"Francis." Mic said.

"Right, Mr. Francis. Today you get to be Doctor Francis." The doctor said with a smile. "Now tell me, doctor Francis, before commencing an opp, what's the most important thing?"

"It's important that all my equipment in sterilised and that the operating room has been cleaned and disinfected." Mic said from the top of his head. "It's also important that I do all the necessary tests and get all my patient's medical history as well as a clear understanding of their present condition and what it is that the operation aims to achieve."

"That's impressive. Textbook good." The doctor said with a grin. "But see, doctor Francis, that's not what's important. The important thing is assurance. Your patient, his or her family, your team, they all need assurance that the opp will be carried out successfully. That's why they came to you in the first place. Because trust me, you don't want to perform heart surgery on a patient you just told he won't make it. That's straight up hypertension and high blood pressure is quite a pain especially when you have to operate."

It went on for a while. The doctor made sure to get them all to understand every procedure. It was only in the last ten minutes that he started showing them to do the procedure's. His last words were that that they should sleep on it. Meditate on the procedure until next time.

Why don't you sleep on that tonight?

It was happening again. Everything was starting to spin. He felt the spatula and other instruments he had been holding fall to the ground rather than see them. He heard someone call up to him. He was pretty sure it was Lily. Maybe even doctor Jordan. Not that it mattered. His mind had plans of its own.

Everything and everyone seemed frozen in time. Everyone but him. He waved his hand in front of the doctor. Nothing happened. Then he felt something like an electric shock at the back of his head. Turning he found himself face to face with his very own face. The eyes were the same grey colour as his. Everything was the same. The only thing different was that, while his eyes projected pure shock, the ones starring back at him were calm and wiser. The face starring back at him, though identical to his, had longer ebony hair than his. For a second they starred at each other whilst the whole world faded away behind them. Then everything fell apart and Mic found himself falling into unconsciousness.

 Then everything fell apart and Mic found himself falling into unconsciousness