Chapter 3: Bonds

This chapter took me much longer than I would've liked and I had a really hard time actually writing it but we're getting into actual plot soon.

I'll probably come back to edit this chapter soon since it's not exactly what I wanted but it's good enough for now.

Also! I'm reminding you now and I'll remind you all again at the end, don't forget to vote for the end pairing for this story! Poll is on my ff.net profile.

~~~~

Chapter Three: Bonds

~~~~

It quickly became obvious, specifically with the changes Iruka-sensei had been making to his method of teaching, that something was wrong with Naruto. Another few days of observing had made that something clear. He didn't respond to quiet sound, had trouble understanding things people said when they spoke at normal levels or weren't facing him, and really only seemed to learn anything when he experienced it for himself or the teacher was being louder than what should've been necessary. Deafness was the obvious conclusion and time watching made it even more painstakingly clear to Shikamaru just what Naruto's problem was.

It was also clear that Iruka-sensei had, at least, an inkling about it. He'd seemed just as surprised as everyone else when Naruto had gotten that first question right but when he saw that whatever experiment he performed was successful he kept at it. His classmates seemed confused about the whole thing; writing more on the board, speaking louder, facing the class more, even the way Iruka-sensei was speaking was different-clearer.

Shikamaru was disappointed to say that it took figuring out Naruto had a disability to make him finally take an initiative toward a real friendship with the blond. Especially when he knew about the hardships Naruto suffered on a daily basis.

Shikamaru knew before even doing anything, that no matter what, Naruto would be suspicious of his sudden change in attitude around him. Not that he'd ever bullied him or meant to be mean, but he remembered instances when they were young where he hadn't exactly been nice. No matter how naive the blond seemed, no matter how idiotic he acted, it recently became more than clear that he was anything but.

Before their academy teacher changed the way he taught regarding Naruto, Shikamaru would have never believed it. Now, though, it seemed that the way Naruto had been treated by everyone growing up may have affected more than just his emotional health. He was street smart and clearly read more than he liked to say-his ability to answer questions correctly truly was quite telling-especially when they were about things they didn't talk about much in class. Because while Naruto certainly did skip school and sleep during class occasionally, he had always done it in a way that suggested resignation more than it did stupidity or carelessness. It seemed like he expected to always be wrong no matter how simple the concept or question. When you took into account his trouble focussed on hearing the questions, it made a lot more sense. At least, it did when you paid attention.

He kept the hypothesis about Naruto's potential deafness to himself for weeks before it became too troublesome. His brain was taken over by thoughts regarding the blond's entire situation, interfering with his normal minimal-functioning days. He knew telling Ino was a terrible idea, the rumor would spread like wildfire and Naruto would once again be the laughing stock of the class. Actually, telling almost anyone would've been a terrible idea. They all disliked the kid way too much for them to ever understand. Choji was a possibility but he might tell Ino and Shikamaru wasn't close enough to anyone else. He ended up settling on confiding in Iruka-sensei. At least then, if he didn't already know, he'd be able to help Naruto more than he'd be able to.