Chapter 12: Return

Okay... I have a lot of explaining to do.

At first, I was late because of the weather knocking out my power for a week (thanks so much to the tropical storm. It actually made a tree fall and crush and destroy a family friend's mother's house--she and her cat are fine, don't worry). Then I was sick and couldn't even think about writing. When I felt better I decided that I wanted to update pretty much everything (except Triple Trouble because that needs a lot more time) at once to make up for my absence.

I posted my first new story, a Haikyuu x Yuri on Ice crossover so please check that out if you want. It's fun and I'm enjoying it (although if I decide I don't like how it's going I have a backup version just in case).

Please enjoy the chapter! I went through three different versions before deciding which direction I wanted to go and I like it a lot so I hope you guys do to!

Anyway... Onto the chapter!

~~~~

Chapter Twelve: Return

~~~~

Kakashi's ninken sprung from the ground and latched onto any part of Zabuza, digging their sharp teeth into whatever meat they could reach.

Kakashi may not be able to see him or smell him or locate him by ear, but his dogs could. They were what made him so deadly. Whatever sense was weak for him, or he lacked entirely, they made up for-the thought of Naruto having a partner to act as his ears crossed his mind briefly but he forced himself to file it away. He needed to focus on his opponent, this was life or death and Kakashi would be the only one walking away from this battle alive.

Of course, their noses were sharper than their ears but it made no difference to their opponent.

"If you can't use your eyes or ears... Simply use your nose. That's what happens when you're closing your eyes in the midst of fog," His voice was his typical brand of stoic with just a hint of smug. He'd been faced with several opponents who'd tried similar tactics and while he couldn't sense chakra the way Naruto could, he had an advantage of his own. "This is the summoning jutsu specialized for pursuit. I deliberately shed my own blood to stop your attacks both times for this. Your weapons have the thick scent of my blood on them now and my adorable Ninken's sense of smell is unrivaled. You're the one who's been playing into my hands. The fog has lifted already, and your future... is death."

He'd always been one for the dramatics. If you're going to go out, or take someone out, do it with bang, right?

"I've had enough of your bluffs!" But Kakashi wasn't bluffing, though he supposed denial was a natural reaction to being skilled, in some way. "Don't act tough!

The sharingan wielding jounin despised taking lives but sometimes it was necessary, at the very least it would be quick and relatively painless.

"There's nothing you can do in this situation," He almost managed to sound as apologetic as he felt. Circumstance was a powerful thing. "Your death is imminent. Zabuza, you were too full of yourself. You're too ambitious for your own good. Do you really believe I've managed to survive with my Sharingan alone? Here's something I didn't copy... A Jutsu of my own making to enlighten you."

Kakashi formed the seals and lightning crackled around him forming a concentrated ball of electricity and chakra around his hand. The sound was like a flock of birds and just by looking at him, the silver haired jounin could tell the missing nin was scared.

"Raikiri!"

Zabuza was simply too dangerous to leave alive. Whether or not it was just a job for the other jounin, it had become much more than that to Team 7. Tazuna was a symbol of courage for Wave Country and Gato simply couldn't be allowed to win. Normally he wouldn't resort to killing his opponent so early on. Death was permanent, there was no coming back from a chidori to the heart (he'd done it before, afterall). However, Zabuza, by killing Tazuna, would also indirectly be killing countless others as well.