Chapter 11: Rage

Last night was wild and I'm impressed with myself for getting this done. I didn't get any sleep at all yesterday morning and my friend dragged me to the mall so I slept when I got home and I woke up at midnight 😂 and immediately started writing this. There were so many episodes to go through and so many POVs I could write but I mostly stuck with Naruto , with a splash of Sasuke, Haku, Zabuza and Kakashi thrown in there since their thoughts are pretty important in these scenes.

This arc might be a bit longer than I'd intended because of my terrible sleeping habits and for that I apologize. On the bright side, I think this might be my favorite chapter from this arc!

There's a lot here for how few words there are and I skipped the majority of Kakashi's side of the fighting because this story is about Naruto and towards the end there are a lot of pov switches but I like it. It makes it feel more like the actual episodes.

Art at the top is Sadness and rage by kazzman99 on DeviantArt!

Anyway...

Onto the chapter!

~~~~

Chapter Eleven: Rage

~~~~

When Naruto arrived at the bridge, it was foggy and visibility was low. Sasuke had been attempting to hold off the masked boy the best he could--by the way Sasuke was trapped in ice it was clear that he wasn't quite a match for him on his own. Kakashi-sensei was facing Zabuza again. Sakura was watching, though Naruto was pretty sure she was supposed to be guarding Tazauna. Sasuke's face was covered in scratches and both boys were panting (though it was hard to tell with his thick, modest clothes and mask covering him. His teammate had taken a knee and both boys seemed to need time to gather themselves again (though it was abundantly clear who only needed a second and who needed a few minutes). The fake Hunter Nin would be ready to fight again soon.

The masked boy, whose name he never actually got, stared at him. His blue eyes never left his form so he wasn't sure if he said anything/ The roar of the wind and the water below them made it hard to hear even muffled voices and Naruto knew immediately that in any battle he took part in, he'd need to use the technique Kurama taught him.

The cold feeling was back, coming from the now-masked boy (Ah-something? It was really hard to hear and their surroundings didn't make it any easier on him). He looked at the trapped Sasuke in the ice dome. Suddenly the feel of the brunette's chakra made sense.

"That brat.... It's a Kekkei Genkai." Kurama's voice echoed in his head and Naruto's eyes widened.

It was his bloodline limit, the result of a water affinity and a wind affinity (thank you, Shikamaru and Kurama!) that allowed him to create the ice.

Then the boy was facing him again.

Oh.

He remembered him from their talk before. He wanted to fight him.

He was pretty sure Kakashi-sensei was talking to Zabuza but the way everyone was wearing a damn mask made it difficult to tell if they were saying anything to begin with. He was hesitant to take his eyes off [Ha-something? He heard it again but couldn't hear the end] to actually look to see the expressions in their eyes. It was logical that Kakashi-sensei would be worried about him in this kind of situation so him talking wouldn't be too weird. He was deaf, against a masked opponent who was definitely stronger than him but despite that it was obvious to Naruto that his teacher couldn't move. If he tried to help, Tazuna would be killed because there would be no way for Sakura to hold the A-rank swordsman off on her own.