-a new life-

I was freezing down to my bones when I made way back to my sleeping spot. The night had been long and the costumers not really numerous. Working at the docks at the Port d'Arsenal is not my dream job but when you need money it isn't helping you to be picky. When I first started to go down to the pier I promised myself that it would be for one night only and that I would find a job where my life has worth but it is easier to believe in it than actually doing it. I can't even count anymore how many times I went to this place of dark desire, shattered dreams and crime in every corner, but as I said, I need the money. I reached the brick wall with a grand linden in front of it and sat down. A shiver made its way down my spine. The pavement was ice cold and my ripped skirt, the tight corset and the thin shawl were not really preventing me from the cold wind which shot through the streets of Paris.

Eventually I must have fallen asleep because when I opened my eyes again, the winter sun was shining and I had to blink several times to get my eyes used to the brightness.

"Morning Mélo!" a dirty blonde boy slid next to me on the pavement. His clothing was more appropriate for the weather than mine even though is jacket also wasn't the thickest.

"Good Morning, Gavroche." I replied and ruffled through his hair. Instantly his hands shot up and ironed the mess on his head to its original place. I knew, deep down he didn't hate it as much as he made me want to believe. "How are you doing?" I asked and a big grin appeared on his face.

"Perfect." He smiled smugly but didn't go on with an explanation.

"And why is that so?" I went on with his little game and leaned back against the wall, crossing my arms and mimicking Gavroche's gesture.

"You're no longer sleeping in the cold. I have a surprise for you. ". Mischief was glistening in his eyes and written all over his face. I was curious what he had in store for me, so I laughed, stood up and followed Gavroche who already got up and started to head through the city. I knew Paris pretty well after all the time I was living here so I realized, that he made his way towards the centre of Paris. I usually slept a bit more on the outside in one of the city parts next to the centre but because of the docks, which were near to the Place de la Bastille, I knew my way around in this place. The city was crowded today. Even the rich were on the streets, the winter sun always led them outside. Their children were stuffed in big and thick coats and on their heads were hats out of fur. I was jealous, I wasn't happy with the situation in France. A lot of people were freezing to death on the streets but these people had more than enough, they even could share with the ones, who also needed warm clothing but sadly that isn't how society works. Everybody is only checking on themselves. Equality is a loanword for a lot of people.

Caught up in my thoughts, I completely forgot to look out for Gavroche and when I stood on my tiptoes to scan the crowd, I couldn't spot him. On one hand, it could be because of my height, which wasn't a world record or I really lost him.

"Mélo!" Somebody whispered in my ears. I jumped in fear when I heard a giggle behind me.

"You... You!" I panted. "You gave me a heart attack." I tried to look angry at Gavroche, but his sniggering was catching and I couldn't help but laugh along with him. That's when I noticed a young man standing behind him. He had dark brown and curly hair and was smiling.

"That's Courfeyrac! And he's my friend." Gavroche explained.

Courfeyrac smiled even wider and shook my hand. "Nice to meet you! Gavroche talks a hell lot about you." I laughed.

"I'm Mélodie, nice to meet you, too! Gavroche never told me about you." I fake pouted and tried once again to look angry and hurt but this time Gavroche wasn't smiling, he looked rather apologetic.