Prologue

The sun had just set over the hills of Twizel and the day was coming close to an end. The outside world was quiet and peaceful, while in each house families were laughing around the dinner table and trying to make the most of the weekend. The golden glow of the sun reflected onto Lake Ruataniwha, brightening up the sky. The noise of the front door opening echoed in the new house.                                                                                                                                                                                  

"Where are you going daddy?" said a small girl, standing behind him.

"I'm going out to town, sweetheart," he said as he picked her up and spun her around. The sound of baby noises came round the corner.

"I will be out for a while exploring the town but will try to be home before morning," he said softly to his wife as he kissed his newborn on the forehead. He waved the three of them goodbye and shut the door behind him and headed for town.

Tonight, he thought, he'd go through that new garden near the Mack's place. Somebody had spent a lot of time on it - who, he did not know, but he was sure to find out in town - and gardening was a passion of his Dora's. Maybe he could bring back a few flowers, that would brighten up her morning when she saw them.

Perhaps it was instinct, or a sixth sense, but when he set foot in the garden his whole body screamed for him to turn around. He paused, unsure, but thought of times before. "Such a baby, Bill! Can't even do that, Bill! Too scared, Bill?"

He shook his head to clear himself of the nervousness. It was silly. What harm could a simple garden do?

There was a fountain in the centre, four paths leading away to their respective gates. The fountain flowed steadily and somewhat eerily in the night air. He took a few steps forward and peered into the rippling water. Something was compelling him, sending him forward. The water looked like crystal, so cold, so clear. What would it feel like on his skin...?

He reached out his hand and trailed it in the water. It was freezing, freezing. He went to jerk his hand out but found that he couldn't.

The water swirled, round and round, consuming him, his body and his mind...

His satchel slipped out of his grip and landed with a thud on the hard ground.

The fountain shot up for a split second.

Then it settled down into the calm, eerie, never-ending pattern.

And somewhere, in the countryside of Twizel, a woman screamed.