Part Two : Chapter Five

I watched her weakly walk towards the balustrade where Tony assisted her climbing the stairs. The stupid, drunk boy with the bloody hand hollered in pain and some of his friends merrily lifted him up and carried him outside the house in a supine position, mimicking a stretcher. They still hadn't grasped the seriousness of the wound, all of them equally intoxicated. I decided to not meddle in their foolishness and I was relieved to have them gone.

"Let's go turn off the music. That'll make the others leave," Isaac suggested sagely and the satisfaction I derived from switching off the noise was insurmountable. Even after the house became eerily quiet, I could still hear the music ringing in my ears. I desperately wished for my eardrums to be intact because I was still young and full of potential. Even though all the potential was sluggishly unused.

All the sticky people left unwillingly, grumbling and moaning at how the magical night had just begun. It was beyond my imagination to envision how much obliteration could be further caused. There were glass pieces dangerously scattered on the floor, the house smelled of urine mingled with sweat and the lovely sofa sets were covered in hopefully food stains and not what I thought they were.

I took a broom and pushed all the perilous pieces to a corner while Isaac opened all the windows to make the stifling space breathable.

"This was a nightmare," Tony said quietly, his eyes sweeping across the trashed room.

"How's Ally doing?" I asked, fanning myself.

"Not quite well . . . Uh, she's taking a shower right now. I was going to the kitchen to take out the cake from the fridge. She hasn't cut it yet. Thought it would make her happy," he said, nervously scratching his neck.

"That's perfect," Isaac said encouragingly. "Are you hungry, Ana? Let's grab something to eat from the kitchen."

"Yeah, I'm starving, although the smell here kills my appetite," I grouched and both of them nodded in solemn agreement.

So with Tony holding a large, square blueberry frosted cake in his arms and Isaac and I armed with some leftover slices of pizza and two bottles of cola, we barged in Allison's pastel pink room while jauntily singing the happy birthday song. We instantly halted in our tracks and singing when a startled Allison, all wet and as naked as the day she was born stepped out of the bathroom. All three of us squinted in confusion.

Allison shrieked in surprise, dashed back in and shut the bathroom door on us. I looked at Isaac who was already awkwardly looking at me, trying hard to not process what had just happened. Tony was as frigid as a Swiss mountain beside me as he whispered shakily, "Blessed Virgin Mary . . ."

"You're her boyfriend," I snidely reminded him.

From inside, we heard Allison cry out, "This is the worst day of my life! I'm a disgrace! Let this be my death anniversary, oh dear God, let me die on the cursed day that I was born!"

Swallowing the laughter that was savagely rising in me, I walked to the door and lied softly, "Hey Ally, we saw nothing, I swear on my mother. You ran so quickly inside that we couldn't see anything. And we're sorry, we should have knocked."

There was a long pause and I thought for a second that she had mindlessly drunk all the shampoo to kill herself, but then she finally said, "You swear on your mother?"

"Yes!" She didn't know that I despised my mother and that I didn't care about her life whatsoever. "Please dress up and come out now, we can forget all that happened today and start new."

There was another long pause, but I could hear the ruffling of her getting dressed. I did a thumbs up to the boys whose faces had turned crimson and I glared at Isaac, hinting at him to pull himself and Tony together. To act normal when Allison came out. Thankfully, he effortlessly understood me and murmured something to Tony in his ears. Tony obediently nodded, but his adamant blush just wouldn't disappear.