Part Two : Chapter Ten

Allison idly twirled a piece of broccoli from her pasta salad in the white bowl, her blonde locks of hair framing her round face. "I have something to tell you."

"Me too," I said soberly, having made up my mind to put aside the gnawing shame of being poor and ask her for monetary help. I hadn't ordered anything at the vegan café, the sight of expensive food made my appetite shrink. Allison was too occupied with her thoughts to protest at my lack of consumption of food. "First, you go."

"Okay." Her fingers tightly wrapped around the fork before she let go. "Tony and I are going to have sex!"

"You said that a little too loudly, Ally," I pointed out when the couple next to our table looked amusingly at us.

She blushed deeply, then repeated in a hushed voice, "Tony and I are going to have sex."

"I heard that the first time."

"Tonight!" The reflection from the above bright lights shone in her own forest-green eyes. "We talked and decided that tonight was perfect."

It was difficult to imagine the always frightened Tony and Allison discussing about finally doing the deed. "Good for you both."

She leaned back on the upholstered chair with a pleased smile. "Now you tell me, Mariana. What did you want to say?"

I took a long sip of water as she waited expectantly with those shining eyes. "Nothing really . . . " I couldn't extort money out of her when she was looking so hopeful, wanting to hear a piece of good news. I knew I couldn't get away by 'nothing really' because she would pester. So I said with an impish smile, "There's this boy that I like . . . "

She squealed, excitedly banging her hands on the table and the couple next table shot us another look. "Who? Who is it?!"

"Remember Isaac who came to your party?" I couldn't resist another smile and her pink lips puckered into an 'oooh.' "We have been spending a lot of time together lately and I like being with him."

I wasn't lying, my mind drifted freely to Isaac whenever it wasn't negatively worrying about my hapless life.

"Oh, that was why he didn't mind when Tony and I cancelled our tickets to the movie. He likes you!"

"I know that," I said dismissively, anybody could see that from day one. "But, I don't think he would want to date me."

Her light eyebrows knotted in confusion. "Why is that?"

"I don't know. We never talked about dating." I took a glimpse of my plastic watch and hastily got up. "Shit, it's five already. I have to go. I have this errand- like my father told me to pick his parcel up." I could see that my almost convincing lie hadn't registered fully on her face. "Anyway, tell me how the sex went. Actually, don't. I don't want to know that."

She giggled childishly, covering her crimson face with her beautiful hair.

I exited the café, checking myself on my phone to see if I looked presentable enough to be a model. Except for my slightly frizzy, brown hair that I could fix with few drops of water, I did look effortlessly pretty (even though efforts were involved.) My looks made it easier to get away with my bitter remarks and I was grateful for them. One needed either money or beauty to survive in this world and while I lacked tremendously in one department, the other compensated a little.

I knew looks would fade soon and only money would help fix that.

I surreptitiously licked my hands and patted my hair, looking up at the imposing building. The fifteen-storey building looked more residential than commercial and I could see that half of the rooms in it weren't occupied. Please let this be legit, I prayed desperately in my head as I stepped in the elevator.

The agency was located on the seventh floor and the moment I trod in, strong air conditioning welcomed me. There were immaculate glass doors and the waiting area had leather cushions. The place was well-lit with white lights. A lady receptionist in semi-formal clothes sat on a swivel chair in front of the laptop. My anxiety eased seeing a lady and I felt comfortable.

She directed me through a passageway and into an impeccable room where cameras and the backdrop were already set. A large man with scanty hair in a cream suit was discussing something with a casually dressed man who was wearing a white linen shirt and jeans. Abel emerged from behind the green screen with a notepad and a bottle of mineral water in his hand.

"Here you are," he said blithely which made his voice sound less gruff. "I was just going to call you."

"I'm sorry for being late." I was being as polite and professional as I could.

"Ah, it's no problem, Mariana," the man in the cream suit said, amicably shaking my hand. "I hope you had a nice day. Abel must have mentioned about the photoshoot." I nodded, my gaze momentarily flickering to his glinting, gold watch. "Perfect. Do you want to start now or would you like to wait a bit?"

"I don't mind starting now."

"Okay, wonderful." He smiled pleasantly, calling the man in the linen shirt, "Jordan, switch on the camera." Then he took the notepad from Abel, inspecting it. "No previous experience?"

My throat went dry, was this where they courteously sent me packing home?

He seemed to have sensed my tension because he said, "Worry not. We'll help you as long as you believe in your abilities."

They placed a white chair in the middle of the green backdrop and I warily sat on it, suddenly conscious of my body's every movement. I could tell that the first few shots were horrible by how stiff I was and the three men surrounding me were trying hard to conceal their disappointment. Whenever the camera flashed, I stupidly blinked.

I cleared my throat, fighting the shame that was wickedly crawling in my throat, threatening to seize my dignity and throttle it.

"It's okay," the man in the cream suit who I now identified as the manager spoke softly. "Take deep breaths, calm yourself. We can wait for a while."

Their kindness simply made me feel guilty of wasting their time and Abel approached me, handing me a can of coke. I took a long gulp, the liquid warmly burning my throat. I spotted a packet of opened biscuits on the small window-sill and a trail of ants marching towards it. The place wasn't so pristine after all and the lack of perfection seemed to have calmed me. I felt light-headed like when I was dancing freely with Isaac on the lawn.

All their eyes were patiently on me and I gave an awkward smile. I was sent into another, smaller room and asked to change into a short, purple frock. I did it with great difficulty, my hands limply pulling it over me. My body felt like malleable rubber, defying the earlier rigidity. The material of the frock was scratchy against my thighs and when I went back to the room from where I heard angry whispers, I found my eyelids growing heavy.

There were too many lights on me, too many lights.

* * *

A/N :

Ten chapters of part two are done, a few more are left. If you're enjoying this, let me know by voting and sharing your thoughts!

 If you're enjoying this, let me know by voting and sharing your thoughts!