Chapter 2

"Go now. While you have the light." Beorn advised, "You hunters are not far behind. Nymeria was atop Aelinor, how her horse managed to hear Nymeria's call, she did not know. However, Nymeria was glad to be astride on her midnight stead again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They traveled across green plains and grasslands, Nymeria kept herself busy with the view. She wanted to distract herself from the place they were going next. Nymeria did have some rocky moments with the prince the last time they met. She remembered it all so clearly.

"Nymeria!" Kili called as he urged his pony to catch up with her horse, "When Beorn said, the wood elves are not like their kin. What did he mean?"

"Yeah, Nymeria what did he mean?" Chorus the other voices curious about the question.

"Well, wood elves, also known as Silvan elves, are much less wise than my kind or elves. My elf kind is a mix of Noldor and Teleri elves, the king of Mirkwood/Greenwood is a Sindar elf. Noldor, Teleri, and Sindar elves all rank higher than the Silvan elves. Their aggressiveness might also come from Thranduil and the forest. A shadow lies over it, darkness in the trees. I fear that I might not even recognize the path, it has been a long time since I have been there. There was a friend I knew from Mirkwood but now..." She trailed off. 

She was thinking about the blonde elf prince, Legolas Greenleaf. She remembered how the day where it fell apart.

[FLASHBACK: Nymeria age 1000-year-old]

Nymeria stood below a tree in Greenwood whilst reading a book. She hummed to herself waiting for Legolas to come. She and her family had arrived at Greenwood for business unknown to her. They were leaving tomorrow at dawn. He had told her to wait for him under the tree, he told her he had something to talk to her about.

"Nymeria." A soft voice called.

Nymeria raised her head and spotted Legolas, being the cheery elleth she was (especially around him) she ran to embrace him like they usually did when they met. Even though it was only a friendly gesture, Legolas did not hug back. Nymeria pulled away and looked at him with confused eyes.

"Naa rashwe? (is there trouble)" Nymeria asked him worriedly.

"My father is pushing me hard on lessons, I can't afford to have distractions." Legolas replied, "We can't be friends anymore. I can't see you anymore."

Nymeria's face turned emotionless, was that all she was? A distraction. She thought that he understood her, cared for her. But like always, she was wrong.

"So, I am merely a distraction to you?" She laughed dryly, "Did all those years of friendship mean nothing? What about Elladan and Arwen?"

"Nymeria, you have to understand. I do want to travel but this is my fate. You are wild and careless, I am a prince, I have my duties."

Nymeria felt her shatter at those words. How could he have said that, how dare he?

"You think I don't understand? I also need these lessons. I am the daughter of the lady of light. But unlike you," She jabbed a finger at him, "I do not abandon my friends at my duties, I do not just throw away hundreds of years of friendship for my place. I will not be controlled by my fate or place. If fate is unfair to you, then I will fight it till I die. That is our difference." Nymeria felt anger surging through every part of her body. She tried to keep calm, but she could only hold it for so long.