Regulus Black

1981

1981

The dinner went quickly and soon enough it was the next morning where Regulus had requested the evans girl to come bright and early to his home. Lobelia Evans found herself quite excited to get to know the boy her grandfather and Italian neighbours spoke so fondly of instead of the cold Black she had known in her times at Hogwarts. Not that they ever interacted, Blacks were very well known. Plus Sirius and others close to her had spoken of him a few times. Plus Elle had witnessed Sirius's breakdown after hearing of his baby brother's death. 

"I hope you brought swimmers, the beach is beautiful this time of year" Regulus grinned as he exited the side garden of the house while walking two bikes over to the girl, a light blue and yellow bike once made the girl grin. "Oh I'll take the yellow one, I haven't rode a bike in a few years excuse my getting use to again" Elle threw a excited smile at the youngest Black which he returned. 

Regulus was right about riding bikes really gave you the best views, the sight of the town that she had been living in for a year was aweing. It brought a new light to the small fishing town that she hadn't truly experienced before. "We'll go straight through the town, I wanna show you somewhere first" She didn't say much but followed his lead and happily waved at the passing townees that all waved back, shouting greetings to the pair. They all seemed to know the familiar boy, one who was far more relaxed in the freeing environment of Villefranche sur mer. "I think I'm beginning to see why you like this place so much, Regulus" 

"Well it sure as hell beats summer in England that's for sure" He calls back to her with a grin eyes almost seeming less guarded then when they started the morning. They didn't say much more as they had come to a stop outside a church. The building suited the area, it belonged amongst the aesthetic that the fishing town created. The youngest Black however had yet to impress her, he knew still but couldn't hold back his grin as he pushed the doors open to reveal the interior of the church. The walls were covered in the murals of Jean Cocteau. The almost abstract paintings lining the walls took the young witches breath away.

"This is beyond words, Reg" 

Elle spun on her heels planting a kiss on both his cheeks in a hasty manner before tugging on his hands to pull him further in to the grand hall. The priest was happy to talk to the young pair about the murals and the artist who painted them as well as slyly throw in a comment or two about the pair joining the local church group. Elle and Regulus both confessed to knowing little about the religion, both for the same reason, the wizarding world didn't have gods like the older man spoke of. The young pair gave each other thoughtful glances as they exit finally with the promise to come back next Sunday. 

"We'll go to the beach now if you want, it's probably the best time for it anyhow" Reg comments looking up to the sky with squinted eyes. They cheer happily the rest of the day, swimming on the warm sandy beach, splashing each other and Regulus continuously throwing her into the waves as she squeals loudly with excitement. They didn't mention the war raging on in their homeland, they didn't talk about how one of the pair is meant to be dead and they didn't talk about the fear they held for their families lives.

It was odd how well they connected, they would have been on odd sight in their Hogwarts days but the Black-Evans pair didn't care much. They spent years together in an odd routine.  On Monday through Tuesday they wouldn't meet until the late nights (long after Elle had finished with her studies and Regulus with his training). They would spend these nights on Regulus's balcony talking about anything and everything included necessary discussions about the war and heavy nature of their entwined past. Wednesday and Thursday they would spend all day together with their own host families before the two households would meet for dinner in the Bianchi couple's outdoor dining area. On Friday they would go back to work until the late afternoon where they would head into town to party with the local muggles (occasionally some older wizards and witches would be present) and get thoroughly smashed. On Saturday they would sleep in curled up in bed till the late afternoon then waste the night swimming in the pool in Elle's backyard even on the coldest winter nights. Sundays they reserved for getting dressed into nice clothes and attending the church that still amazed Lobelia every time she saw it.

 They repeated this routine for almost four years before they were forced to face the music.