prologue

"wednesday, please stop picking at your food," wednesday's mother, morticia, pleaded.

her request fell on deaf ears, as her third oldest child continued to poke at his dinner with a fork. his face held his famous stoic expression as he rested his cheek against his palm.

"wednesday, please eat your food. you know granny spent a long time preparing it," his father, gomez, spoke up as he sent his black-haired son a look of warning.

"are you still mad about earlier? seriously? it wasn't that big of a deal," the eldest addams sibling, lucius, rolled his eyes, bits of food falling from his mouth as he spoke.

wednesday clenched his fist, his nails digging into the flesh of his palm. his amber eyes were trained on his plate of rice and fried tuna eyes. wednesday was so irritated with his older brother, that he was contemplating lucius' murder. it didn't help that the very menace was seated across from him and he could feel lucius' dark eyes observing him.

"don't be gross, lucius," the only daughter of the family, elvira, scoffed as she watched lucius practically swallow down his food; as if he hadn't eaten in days.

"i'm just tryna eat here, elvira," lucius declared through a mouthful, earning a look of disgust from his sister.

"ugh. i'm convinced mom and dad picked you up from the circus," elvira shook her head, turning her attention back to her plate.

"nah, but they got you from the freakshow - as i remember, you were performing with the clowns," lucius smiled widely as his own 'comeback' as if he just said the most brilliant one in existence.

just as elvira was about to fight back, gomez held his hands up, "that's enough, children. just finish eating your food. and thank granny, will you?"

the addams children erupted in a chorus of thank yous to their grandmother, who was cleaning up in the kitchen. even pugsley joined in, he had been oddly quiet during dinner. considering how nosey he could be, he was probably just enjoying watching his siblings bicker and pick on one another.

wednesday continued to prod at his untouched food like a picky child. he was acting a bit like one, it was immature for a newly turned eighteen-year-old to be acting like this. he just wasn't hungry but he knew that as part of tradition, his family always ate together.

"can you grow up, wednesday? i swear, pubert doesn't even act like this," lucius gestured towards the infant's highchair, where pubert sat, baby food dripping from his mouth.

"yeah, wednesday. you're overreacting. i can't believe our baby brother acts better than you," his sister chimed in.

wednesday was nearing his limit. he attempted to compose himself before he lunged at his older siblings. he could practically feel the fire burning within him, his pale cheeks reddening in anger. but it was too late, he had had enough,

"shut up, shut up, just shut the fuck up!" wednesday yelled, pushing himself out of his chair. his sudden outburst surprised his whole family; uncle fester and puglsey spat out their drinks and grandmama rushed out of the kitchen with an unwashed plate in her hands.

"wednesday!" morticia called out to the enraged teen but to no avail. he already stormed out of the mansion's front door, not even bothering to grab a coat.

he just needed some alone time, away from them. and he knew exactly where to go, his place of comfort. the town's graveyard.

.・゜゜・  ・゜゜・.

hope the prologue was okay! i meant to write this the day i published the book but i forgot until i heard the addams family theme song on a commercial lol.