vi. hanging with evangeline

"he ran off when he saw you? just like that?" the silver-haired girl let out an audible gasp. she dropped the lock of her hair that she was absentmindedly twirling around her finger. the two sat cross-legged in the long grass, the soft blades tickling their legs.

"yeah," (name) admitted, picking at a single blade of grass, "it was kinda embarrassing,"

"was cade there?" evangeline wondered, the blind girl's eyebrows furrowing.

"yeah, he didn't help," she sighed, feeling extremely embarrassed. she could feel the skin of her cheeks burn at the thought of the ordeal.

"don't worry, i'll beat him up for you!" evangeline balled her fists, trying her best to look as intimidating as she could muster. however, the faux act of toughness fell flat: evangeline was just too adorable, those brown, doll-like eyes not holding an ounce of malice.

"i'll hold you to that," (name) grinned, reaching over the ruffle evangeline's hair. the girl closed her eyes as her friend ran her fingers through her bright locks.

"ya know, you should forget about him - what was his name again? tuesday?" evangeline teased, running her fingertips over the grass.

"his name is wednesday, you loser," (name) playfully snapped back.

"right, wednesday," evangeline shrugged her shoulders, "as i was saying, you should forget about him, date me instead,"

evangeline followed the sound of her friend's angelic laugh, crawling on her knees over to her. the doe-eyed girl held her hands out to navigate before she rested her head down on (name)'s lap.

"you know i love you, 'geline. no one will ever get between us," (name) reassured her best friend. she gingerly stroked a stray lock away from evangeline's face.

"you're damn right," evangeline smirked, getting into a more comfortable position against (name)'s thighs.

there was a comfortable silence between the two. (name) hummed a soft tune as she continued to gingerly run her fingers through evangeline's hair.

"(name)?" evangeline spoke up, her voice soft, almost like a bashful child's.

"yeah?"

"do you like wednesday? is that why you were freaking out earlier?" it took a lot for evangeline too keep herself from cringing; she hated herself for asking such a ridiculous question.

"i don't know, to be completely honest. he's cute but i think i'd just really like to get to know him better. besides, salem did attack him so i feel like i should make it up to him, somehow," (name) confessed, her eyes peering up at the great, beautiful blue sky above.

"oh. i see . . ." evangeline cleared her throat, her body tensing up. she prayed (which surprised her) that (name) couldn't feel her body become rigid.

another few hushed moments flew by. evangeline found herself growing sleepy, eyes half-lidded and droopy. she drowsily basked in her friend's warm embrace, enjoying her calming presence. the fingers carefully combing through her hair made it difficult to not drift off.

"so, who was that one guy you met the other day?" (name) reminded her of a previous conversation of theirs.

"oh," evangeline yawned. although she wasn't interested in talking about the topic but she didn't want to be rude, "his name's pugsley. he seems cool. maybe i'll invite him to hang out with us if you'd like.

"sounds cool," (name) smiled down at her and evangeline felt her heart flutter. (name) was eager to make new friends: though they had multiple acquaintances, their friend group only consisted of, well, just the two of them. most kids their age would steer clear of them. it hurt, sure, but at least she had evangeline.

i'm more than ready to make new friends. i feel so alone sometimes.

.・゜゜・  ・゜゜・.

sorry for the shitty, long-overdue update. with the current state of the world, my mental health and motivation to write isn't the best right now. but i will try my best to update when i can. i'm not sure how often that'll be: i'm not really a big fan of this platform anymore and might be transfering over to ao3, if i can figure it out lol.

please stay safe out there, take care of yourselves and your loved ones, and remember to continue to fight for what you believe in <3