Taking leave

Dinner had been served that night, and it took all of Thomas to not show the blushing of his cheek and the beads of sweat that collected on the nape of his neck. The next day though, the Duke came down to breakfast fully dressed. He paid no mind to Thomas, did not say a word, asked for no drinks, did not look at him once. Thomas felt bothered sitting in the servants hall. The maids chatted in the corner. Then they began to talk of the Duke, and Thomas perked up.

Daisy, the kitchen maid, commented, "I did not expect him to be so young."

"Does that mean you did not expect him to be so handsome, Daisy" Phyllis chimed in with a giggle.

Thomas's ears were red noticeably so, he wasn't doing a very good job of containing the feeling which he had for this conversation. One part of him wished that he could go sit down at the end of the table and speak of the strong chest, and the muscular creases which lead down under his undergarments.

"Oh shut up." Daisy lightly battered phyllis's arm and they all laughed together.

The other part of him won out though: "Yes please shut up, it is quite in"inappropriate for you to be speaking about his Grace in this way, I have half a mind to report you to Mr. Carson."

At that same moment, Mr. Carson walked in and all stood upon his entrance.

"Is there something you would like to report to me Mr. Barrow."

Thomas had hoped that his threat would simply scare the girls whose fearful little face looked around at each other in the corner of the servants quarters. "It's nothing sir, just a misunderstanding."

"I see, well alright then, girls Mrs. Hughes is looking for you."

The girls scurried away like little mice escaping slaughter. Mr. Carson began to walk out of the room, but Thomas stopped him.

"Mr. Carson, was I unsatisfactory to The Duke."

"I cannot imagine why Mr. Barrow"

"Well, he did not call on me this morning."

"Then, Mr. Barrow, he must not have seen a use for his dress this morning, I believe you should not speculate any further than that."

Mr. Carson left the room and Thomas slumped down into his chair. He did not often feel such insecurity to the magnitude which he was feeling it today, and by the time had come or the serving of lunch he had alright talking himself into and out of many of all the possible scenarios. Had the duke seen him staring just a little too intently and decided he did not like that. Had he expected Thomas to reach out and touch and because he had not his grace decided it was not worth his time. He brought the pheasant to the dining room and again stood still all while wishing that the duke might be so bold to stand and drag Thomas out of the room by his collar and have his way with him. Rather the Duke sat next to Lady Mary, Lord Grantham's daughter. They sat conversing with each other. Thomas understood. Lady Mary was quite an eligible young woman, and so a young man like the Duke would most likely enjoy her company. Just as he was thinking this through, his grace looked up at Thomas.

"Mr. Barrow, would you bring me some of that."

Thomas moved to him and lowered the platter. the Duke continued to speak with Lady Mary as he served him. With one hand he scooped some pheasant off of the platter, but to Thomas's utter shock, his other hand began to trail up Thomas's thigh. Unseen by the others, but quite a significant detail of the meal for Thomas. He returned to his post in the corner of the dining room, and the Duke again bore into him with his little smirk. 

When the lunch finished, Thomas stood by the door, and the Duke once again made a deep eye contact with him while passing on his way to the library.