Chapter Nine

Things weren't right.

There was something off about today and I couldn't figure out what it was.

Everyone around me didn't seem any different, well except Asher. Something was off with him, and I couldn't figure out what it was.

He looked ill. His skin was paler than normal, he had bags under his eyes, he just didn't look like the Asher I was used to seeing.

If I was being honest, he looked like I did, after I'd have one of my "dreams". My body tensed at that thought. Was he having the same dreams as me, no surely not. I had to be overthinking things again.

"Jeez Scarlet, could you stare any harder at Asher," Elijah said, smiling at me.

"You've been staring at him a lot lately. Do you have a crush on him or something?" Emily asked, causing my cheeks to heat up.

"Oh my God you're blushing," Elijah screamed out, causing a few people to stare at us.

"So you do like him," Emily excitedly said.

"I-I do not."

That was a lie, that was a big lie. My crush on Asher was something that just kind of snuck up on me. I hadn't even realized that I liked him like that till a few weeks ago.

"You're such a bad liar."

"Soooooo, tell me all about it," Emily said.

"Does he like you back?"

"Does he know you like him?"

"How long have you liked him?

They went on like this for a few minutes, while I sat there staring at them.

"Well?" They asked in unison.

"Did you guys hear what happened at Travis's party the other night," Calvin said, taking a  seat next to Elijah.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Asher beat Travis up," Calvin stated.

I'm pretty sure all of our mouths were gaped open at this point.

"Wait are you serious?"

"Yeah, from what I've heard, they got into some fight at the party and Asher just like laid his ass out."

"Why were they fighting? I thought those two were like two peas in a pod." Emily asked.

"I thought so too. And as for what they were fighting about, well it had something to do with Scarlet," Calvin said, as everyone's eyes turned to me.

"What do you mean they were fighting about me?"

"I honestly don't know, hell I don't even know if it's true."

"Well Asher's leaving the cafeteria, so if you want answers you'd better get to running," Elijah said.

I looked over to see Asher throwing away his tray before exiting the cafeteria. I grabbed my tray from the table, throwing it in the trash. I walked out of the cafeteria to see he was nowhere in sight.

"Shit," I said under my breath.

I walked further into the hallway, stopping when I see him walking out of the boy's restroom.

"Asher," I called out, causing him to look in my direction. He gave me a small smile as I walked up to him.

"Hey Scar," he said, his voice sounding tired.

"Hey, do you want to go somewhere and talk?"

"I'm not really in the mood," he said, avoiding eye contact with me.

"Well too bad, I'm not giving you a choice."

I grabbed his hand, dragging him with me as we exited the school.

"Uh. Where are we going?"

"The gyms warehouse, no one ever goes there, I go there sometimes in my free time, just to get away from everyone."

We walked around the school to where the warehouse was at. I opened the door, walking in with Asher right behind me.

I closed the door, locking it behind me, I reached over, flipping the light switch, letting light fill the room. I dropped my book bag to the floor, before sitting in one of the chairs that were in here.

I looked over to see Asher still standing by the door. We made eye contact as I patted the chair next to me. He walked over to where I was at, sitting down, as we fell into an awkward silence.

"So, I heard you and Travis got into a fight," I said, breaking the silence.

I could see him tense at the mention of Travis.

"Yeah we did," he said, his tone cold as ice.

"What happened?"

"Nothing."

"Asher," I said, causing him to look at me.

"What happened?"

Asher sighed before answering me.

"He admitted to me that he hit you."

I tensed at the mention of it, it was something I have been trying to forget about.

"Did he?"

"He did."

"Why didn't you tell me Scarlet?" He asked, sounding kind of angry with me.

"I'm sorry Asher, it's just, well no one knows about it, except for you now," I admitted.

"Why didn't you tell anyone about it?"

"I guess I was just too embarrassed to tell anyone. It's not a big deal Asher."

"Not a big deal, are you fucking kidding me, it is a big deal, he put his hands on you, then outed you to the entire school." Asher stood from his seat.

"Why does it even matter? Why do you even care?" I yelled out, standing from my seat as well.

At this point, we were in each other's faces yelling at each other. But then Asher does something that completely throws me off.

He takes hold of my face between his large, callused hands, and then he kisses me.

I stood there for a moment, completely shocked before I fully realize what was happening. I can feel my body relax as I start to kiss him back. Was this happening? Were we kissing right now?

Asher pulls away from me, resting his forehead against mine.

"I care because I like you, Scarlet," Asher admits, his voice raspy.

He likes me.

Asher likes me.

I could feel my cheeks warm up as I pull Asher down for another kiss. I still had things that I needed to talk to him about, but for right now it could wait.