Indian Postcards, Trafficked Girls & the 'Untouchables'

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; indeed it's the only thing that ever has". Margaret Mead

In the first few days in Mysore, I had not spotted a single postcard. Suppose not being a tourist hotspot, it was understandable. I send postcards religiously to my aunt, who eagerly awaits their arrival from far off lands. Not being one to disappoint, Ganga, my host, came to the rescue, the only place to find the rare postcard, was at Mysore Palace.

I'd passed the splendid palace many a time, listed as the number one 'must see' in Mysore. The palace is an example of the Indo-Saracenic style of architecture, mostly used by British architects in India in the 19th century. Maharaja Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV and his mother Maharani Kempananjammanni Devi, commissioned Henry Irwin to build the palace in 1897.

 Maharaja Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV and his mother Maharani Kempananjammanni Devi, commissioned Henry Irwin to build the palace in 1897

Not being interested in the 'royal residence' side of tourism; I hadn't been overly keen to visit. Today, however, I was not meeting Stanley from Odanadi until 1 o'clock, so decided to pop down to buy some postcards.  Odanadi means 'soulmate', and are an NGO that addresses all forms of sexual violence against women and children, with a special focus on human trafficking

The bus dropped me outside the palace, an area scattered with small Hindi shrines, sloppily draped in a jumble of colour, vibrant marigolds, lotus and red hibiscus, all to gratify the gods. Edging closer, a stronger, more distinctive scent drifted through the air. A pyramid of incense burned in unison, releasing a cloud of sandalwood vapour, rising above the heads of those praying with zeal. This burning of incense is incredibly important in Hinduism, amongst other things, it symbolises the presence of a god or goddess.

Temples dedicated to the elephant trunked Ganesh, were said to be particularly busy during exam time, being the god of intelligence and wisdom. However, since he also heralds as the remover of obstacles and new beginnings, in a district with a 82% Hindi majority, I am sure he is busy all year round.

 However, since he also heralds as the remover of obstacles and new beginnings, in a district with a 82% Hindi majority, I am sure he is busy all year round

After paying the bank breaking 74 pence entrance fee, it was time to pass through the golden gates and followed the crowd down the long winding path. The grounds of the palace boasted lush manicured lawns, bordered by a blaze of colour, hailing from the roses, lilies, tulips and other seasonal blooms, sending a floral scent into the air. We soon arrived at a counter displaying an amusing sign, where we swapped our shoes for plastic flip flops.