Second Mistake

Proofreading by djae82

*******

Beam POV

 I looked at my ultrasound photo.  He is almost two months old. Only a small blob.  Initially, I was curious about how the baby could live without the womb. But miraculously, he formed his own membrane that made it possible for him to live and obtain his food.  I looked at him intently. I do not know what to feel.

 "How do you feel?"  Asked Kit. I looked away and looked at Kit.  I smile

 "I'm fine," I replied.

 Kit pouted "But you don't look fine. When was the last time you shaved?"  he asked. I'm laughing.

 "I'll do it later, okay" I replied.  That is if I can smell the shaving cream.

 "Listen Beam. Me and Phana have talked about this, if you want you can stay with me or Phana"

 I looked at Kit for a moment.

 "I'm fine, okay. I'm a doctor. I know my own situation," I said.  Kit chuckles and looks at me annoyed.

 "This is not just for you but also for your baby," he said.

 I paused and stared at him briefly

 "I ... will think about it," I replied.

 Kit breathes freely.

 "Sorry," he said suddenly.  I looked at him confused.

 "Because of me you-"

 I laughed "Aw ... we've talked about this and I've signed a letter of consent as a volunteer. Besides, I'm doing this for the sake of science. Stop feeling guilty"

 Kit looked at me and sighed.  He leaned his back on the chair and massaged his head.

 "If only we could find the man," he said.

 I laughed "So what if we find him? I can't just approach him and say 'hey ... you gonna be a father'" I replied "What if he is married or he is not ready to have a family?"

 Kit is looking at me

 "But you can't do this alone," he said

 "I'm not alone Kit" I said "I have you, Phana, Ming and Wayo"

 Kit sighed "Right. Of course," he said.  I smiled and got up from my seat.

 "Thanks," I said before leaving.

 I walked out of the examination room with Kit and walked down the hall along the 5th floor. I paused when I saw the nursery.  Amazingly every day the nursery is always full of new patients. I watched the babies one by one. They looked very fragile and small.

 When I volunteered for Professor Suresh's research, I never imagined that this experiment would succeed.  The human body is so complicated. Even when moving a finger, a lot of tissues and muscles are involved in the process. What more when forming a cell into a living creature.  Even Darwin would rise from his grave if he read the results of our research.

 "They're funny aren't they?"  Phana's voice interrupted my thoughts.  I looked at him who stood beside me. I nodded slowly.

 "Have you met Kit?"  he asked. I nodded again.

 Phana walked closer to the glass window.

 "I talked to Pho. You don't need to worry about your work," he said.  I looked at him without saying anything.

 "Of course I didn't say anything about your condition," he refused to use the word pregnant to describe me.

"Don't you want to study Oncology? You remember Professor Philips? He is now the head of the Kimmel John Hopkins Cancer Center. If you agree, I will tell him about your condition. For the last quarter, you can go to America. He will help you and I told Pho that you  will take an Oncology specialization there. Pho looks happy. He is even very excited to create a cancer center in this hospital and give you a head position someday "