008. HI EL

The team was now on the Quinjet. Bruce, after going all Hulk and destroying the city, was sweating and wrapped up in a blanket. Max was sitting in the cockpit staring out the window at the dark sky. 

Steve sat in one of the passenger seats seemingly upset. Which he kind of was. El sat next to him with her knees to her chest. She couldn't stop thinking about what her mother had said. 

"Leave them far behind and never look back." 

Thor was anxiously pacing slowly. "The news is loving you guys. Nobody else is. There's been no official call for Banner's arrest but it's in the air." Maria informed over a communication device. 

Clint was flying the Quinjet and Natasha sat in a seat near Bruce with her back to everyone. "Stark Relief Foundation?" Tony asked quietly. "Already on the scene. How's the team?" Maria asked.

Max looked down. She couldn't stop thinking about what her mother had said either. 

"Get away from the Romanovs and Barinovs." 

"Everyone's..." Tony stopped. Steve sighed and El had tears rolling down her cheeks. Natasha was staring at the wall as if it might break if she stared hard enough.

"We took a hit. We'll shake it off." Tony said quickly. "Well for now I'd stay in stealth mode.. and away from here." Maria informed. "So, run and hide?" Tony asked.

El inhaled trying to hold back sobs. "Until we can find Ultron, I don't have a lot else to offer." Maria stated. "Neither do we." Tony said before hanging up the call on Maria.

Tony approached Clint in the cockpit. "Hey, you wanna switch out?" Tony asked. "No, I'm good. If you wanna get some kip, now's a good time, cause we're still a few hours out." Clint informed. 

"A few hours from where?" Tony asked. El lifted her head and Steve looked at her and noticed the tears on her face. He put his arm around his adopted daughter and she buried her face in his armor covered chest.

"A safe house." Clint says.

A few hours later the Quinjet lands outside a farmhouse and the Avengers all walk towards it. "What is this place?" Thor asks. "A safe house." Tony said. "Let's hope." Clint say as they walk into the house. 

Natasha was being supported by Clint and Max walked behind them. Thor and Tony were behind Max and Steve and El were behind them. Bruce was at the very end. 

"Honey, I'm home." Clint called. A few moments passed and Laura came around the corner with some crafts in her hand. "Hi." Clint said. Laura looked a little shocked. 

"Company. Sorry, I didn't call ahead." Clint said. "Hey." Laura smiled giving Clint a kiss. "Hey Laura." Max smiled giving the very pregnant woman a hug. "Hey Max." Laura grinned. 

"This an agent of some kind." Tony said to Thor. "Gentlemen... and El.. this is my wife, Laura." Clint said. "I know all your names... except yours." Laura pointed to El. Tony waved briefly.

El gave her a cute smile, "I'm Elisia but you can call me El." "Hi, El." Laura said. Steve, Thor, Tony, and Bruce look at Laura awkwardly. 

"Ooh. Incoming." Clint says hearing little footsteps running around the corner. Cooper and Lila Barton run around the corner and exclaim, "dad!" 

"Hi, sweetheart!" Clint grinned picking up his daughter before kissing his son's head. "Hey, buddy! How you doing?" Clint smiled.

"These are... smaller agents." Tony says to Thor. "Look at your face! Oh my goodness." Clint says to Cooper. "Did you bring Auntie Nat?" Lila asked when Clint put her down. 

Natasha looks over and smiles as she walks towards Lila. "Why don't you hug her and find out?" Natasha smiled before picking up the girl and giving her a hug. 

"Did you bring Max?" Cooper asked, hope evident in his voice. "Hey, Coop." Max grinned, peeking around Laura. 

Cooper gave Max a hug and she hugged him back and ruffled his hair. "Sorry for barging in on you." Steve apologizes.

"Yeah, we would've called ahead but we were too busy having no idea you existed." Tony said. "Yeah, well Fury helped me set this up when I joined. He kept it off SHIELD's files, I'd like to keep it that way. I figure it's a good place to lay low." Clint explained.

El nodded slowly looking around at the house. It was small and cute. "Honey, ah. I missed you." Laura said softly. "How's little Natasha?" Natasha asked Laura and placed her hands gently on Laura's stomach. 

Thor shifted his weight to his other foot  and stepped on a Lego house. El and Steve looked down at it and back at Thor who looked at them. He shoved it under the couch with his foot. 

"She is..." Laura said. El shook her head and scoffed. "Nathaniel." Laura said. "Yes!" Max hissed. Natasha frowned and bent down to Laura's belly. "Traitor." Natasha muttered.

Max shoved Natasha gently out the way and bent down to Laura's stomach. "I knew you loved me." Max grinned. 

El glanced at Max before looking away. Lila stood in front of Thor and he looked down at her, confusion on his face. The memories and mind hallucinations brought upon Thor by Wanda flashed in his visions until a toaster popped up. 

Everyone looked over and Thor walked out. Steve followed. El began to follow, "no." Steve mumbled. "Stay here." Steve said. El nodded.

Later while Clint and Laura were in their bedroom, Clint finished changing his shirt and Laura finished checking out his wound. "If they're sleeping here, some of them are gonna have to double up." Laura said. 

Clint laughed. "Yeah, that's not gonna sell... well maybe Max and El." Clint said. Laura laughed. "Oh no. Not them. What about Nat and Dr. Banner... how long has that been going on?" Laura asked. Clint looked shocked. 

"Has what? And what about Max and El? They're best friends!" Clint exclaimed. "You are so cute." Laura laughed. "Nat and... and Banner?" Clint asked.

"I'll explain when you're older, Hawkeye." Laura grinned. "Wait! What about Max and El! I'm confused." Clint whined. Laura chuckled. "They're obviously avoiding each other. Something happened on that mission to them. It's bad right? Nat seems really shaken up too." Laura explained.

Clint nodded. "Ultron has these allies, these uh, kids, they're punks really. They carry a big damn stick and Nat took a serious hit. Someone's gonna have to teach 'em some manners." Clint said walking out the bathroom.

"And that someone be you. You know I totally support your Avenging, I couldn't be prouder. But I see those guys, those "Gods", Max, and lord knows what El can do..." Laura said.

"You don't think they need me." Clint said putting on his shoes. "I think they do. Which is a lot scarier. They're a mess." Laura said. "Yeah. I guess they're my mess." Clint said looking out the window at Steve and Tony who were approaching each other.

"You need to be sure that this team is really a team and that they have your back. Things are changing for us. In a few months time, you and me are gonna be outnumbered. I need...just be sure." Laura told her husband. 

"Yes ma'am." Clint says before giving Laura a kiss. She wrapped her arms around him and he kisses her forehead. "I feel the difference." Laura mumbled.