Chapter 15: Michaela

The staircase spun into a dark abyss, stirring my natural aversion for underground adventures. I reminded myself that it was holy ground we were threading and not a portal to the other side. I unclasped my briefcase and reached for my halo.

"Let there be light!" I maneuvered the golden ring in place, five inches above my head, unsure if it would work. Instantaneously, a bright light blasted in a full circle around me. The reassurance that my halo hadn't been stripped of its powers rekindled hope in my weary heart.

Both demons recoiled, hissing violently and raising their arms like shields.

"It won't hurt you." I chuckled. "It's just light, you pansies."

Cain peered from behind his bicep, his features twisted in torment. I remembered the pain he was in and mentally slapped myself for not being more sensitive. I waved my hand. "Come here, into the light, close to me. I can make this better for you."

He blinked, looked at his she-devil, then to the staircase and back to me. I wondered if he was weighing his options, but whether he liked it or not, right now, right here, I was his best bet. I grabbed his hand and pulled him into my aura. "Come here, you. You can trust me."

The jezebel righted her back, smoothing down her tacky, leather bustier with her hands. "I don't know what's worse, the agony of holy ground or that mediocre star-crossed-lovers play the two of you keep putting on."

"I can make your pain easier to bare as well," I said, "if you want." Meanwhile, I pressed Cain's hand, alleviating his agony with happy vibes. His muscles relaxed tangibly. A sigh of relief slipped from his mouth.

She-devil curled her lip. "I think I'm gonna be sick."

"Suit yourself." I shrugged as I moved passed her and led the way into the catacombs.

Even with my light, the underground corridor was gloomy. A sloppy trail was paved through the decades of dust on the stone floor beneath our feet. More than one person had been in here recently. "How did you know about this?" I asked Cain. "Why do you think the demon kid is down here?"

"Amalia."

The jezebel had led us here? A shiver ran down my spine. I didn't like the sound of that. "How did you know?" I turned around and asked her.

"You know ... men tell me stuff." She pouted her lips, flicking a spider from its cobweb with her fingernail before looking back at me. The look in her eyes couldn't be misread. She was daring me to ask.

"What man?"

"Oh, I'm not sure. He wasn't that memorable, but funny thing ... " She looked at my halo. "He had one of those."

"Don't listen to her," Cain said, "she's yanking your chain. It's what she does best."

"I most certainly am not. I remember that thing because I tried to touch it. Hurt like hell. Won't forget that anytime soon." She shivered at the memory.

Cain and I looked at each other. Bleeding heavens. Could she be telling the truth? What were we getting ourselves into?

"His name?" Cain grabbed her wrist and twisted it.

She didn't budge. "Why Cain, you know me, I don't remember the name of every guy I sleep with. Only the good ones." She touched his stomach and trailed her fingers down his abdomen while licking her lips.

"You better not be wasting our time." With a dead-glare, he dropped her arm and nudged me to move forward.

We walked for a long time. The dark corridor seemed to go on forever. When it forked, we followed the trail of footsteps. "Do you smell that?" I asked Cain, a flutter of excitement making its way up my chest.