-chapter 5-~reconstructing~

"Woah, whats got you all in a tissy?"
"Not in the mood Charlie," I carried on, swinging my fists at his padded hands.
"Danny, it's just a warm up. You're murdering my hands!" Charlie whined but continued to hold out his hands for me.
I paused, hands in front of my face and still in ready position, "What, so warm up is lazy time?" Whack.
The insistent voice of our Unit leader saved a relived looking Charlie, "Alright Troop! This morning we're going to make it quick. I want," Lieutenant Turner rattled off the morning's training regimen, complete with aerobic, anaerobic, and hand to hand drills. She called it a light morning and it was, much to my disappointment.
After what I'd uncovered last night, I needed something to silence the tornado of thoughts raging in my mind. I'd run the perimeter of the territory I knew so well until I lost track of time. By the time I'd made it back to my bunk, Amanda was sleeping peacefully, drooling on her pillow, and the sun hadn't risen yet, but it was announcing its arrival would be soon. i'm not sure how much sleep I got, but it wasn't rest that my mind needed, it was release. It was revenge.
I felt an anger like none I'd ever felt in my life, and I was a frequently angry girl. This anger wasn't like the anger I felt when one of my mom's coworkers refused to call her by her title, 'Dr'. It wasn't like the anger I felt when one of Brighton's kronies had tripped Kenny in the cafeteria, making sure that he made a mess of his clothes of that day. It wasn't even like when I got detention for being late to gym class too many times, when my previous class was all the way across the building.
I was so angry I could hit something, but what I wanted to do was to hit a specific someone.
The fact that Brighton had gotten under my skin was afraid to show itself in my mind, but I sure as hell knew it was there. And I wasn't happy about it.
Brighton's betrayal was far worse than any of those other clown's.
The difference was that my moms coworker, Brighton's krony, and Ms Jenner my high school gym teacher, none of them promised to care about anyone. They didn't have a voodoo grip on my mental psyche and they didn't emit an aroma that reminded me of a grassy meadow on a sunny day, or have the shoulders and height that made me drool every time I looked at him.
The difference wasn't all about how hot Brighton was, no, although in a weak moment my mind might say otherwise. Brighton was supposed to be my mate. He was supposed to be my best friend, companion, and tall glass of water all rolled into one.
He was supposed to accept me because we had been made for each other.
Last night had ripped the bandaid off of my four year old wound and I didn't see it closing again any time soon.
So for now, I'd pour all of my anger and rage into my training.
But it wasn't enough.
Noon rolled around and I was still itching to bash Brighton's head in. At the very least, I needed to confront him, I needed some sort of satisfaction that I believed would come from giving him a piece of my 'hey, remember when you rejected me because I wasn't a size 2?,' mind.
But something like that, a glorious interaction where Danny finally got to give her two cents to the disappointment who'd wrecked her dreams, would require planning.
Call me a maniac, but I liked to trap my prey.
After lunch, which was boxed lunches of dry ham and cheese sandwiches on wheat bread in the dining hall, I followed Amanda back to our room. We would have only a few minutes to ready ourselves to meet with Alpha Richmond, but I couldn't hold it in any longer.
"Amanda," my voice didn't bother concealing the panic I felt, and it didn't bother waiting until the door was even shut either.
Click.
She turned around to face me, "yeah? What's wrong? Are you okay?"
I sat down on the bottom bunk and looked up at her with an uncertain expression.
"Talk to me," she said. She plopped herself down on the mattress next to me, making me float upwards for only a moment.
So I did. I told her about how I'd run into my good ol mate in the kitchen, standing between the legs of my high school friend, and fellow former outcast, Allison. I finished with my polished and supported conclusion that I had been gifted with a mate who was as shallow and substance-less as a fountain found in the middle of a shopping mall.
The way I'd phrased it you would've thought I was finding it funny already, but really I was deep in a whole bunch of feeling sorry for myself.
"Oh Danny," She sighed. "What are you going to do?"
I looked over at her. "I feel like I need some sort of, ugh. Some sort of something. I think I want to talk to the prick." I laughed, "I just want to tell him off or something."
"You know we could always kick his ass?" we laughed together.
"Hmmm," I said, rubbing my chin in exaggerated thought. Amanda began to recover from her fit of laughter just in time to notice my evil expression. "You know Amanda," I said in a British accent, "You seem to be onto something".