-chapter 8-~reconstructing~

Silence.
That was the most I could've asked for from Henry and that's exactly what he gave me.
I sniffled against his white t shirt. The comfort of his arms had stopped the shaking of my shoulders, and though my eyes were red and puffy, and my head heavy, I felt much better.
"Henry?" I asked in a small voice.
"Danny." he answered, making me smile.
"Thank you," I said.
I found myself reluctant to leave his warmth, and only moments after he pulled away to look at my face did I wish it was back in the crook of his neck.
He lifted his thumb to smear some tear drops across my cheek. Then he swept away the many stray hairs scattered across my forehead and temples. I laughed at his actions.
I paused for a moment to really look at him. His sandy eyebrows were thick and sheltered two deep set eyes. His green eyes were so playful yet soft, much like his touch. They reminded me of the many times he had made me laugh. His hair covered his forehead unevenly and his nose was long and straight, much like his chin which ended at a point.
This moment we were having was new to both of us. It wasn't often that any of us had emotional outbursts. There just wasn't much that took any of us by surprise out at the Fort. I guess it really only took me 24 hours away from it to become overwhelmed. Huh, I guess I'd take basic training over emotional stress any day.
I emailed at him, finally. All I could think was, I was so glad my friend was more than just a support for training. I shouldn't be surprised at all.
I'd known Henry was not just a surface level friend. When I'd decided to tell my friends at the base about my rejection from my mate, they'd all be supportive. I had nothing more to ask of from them, but Henry had seemed to really care. No, empathize, maybe.
I'd never heard of him having any sort of relationship with his mate. I knew one thing for sure, he'd make a good one.
He caught my look I was giving him. "What?" he asked with a smile.
I returned the smile back to him, "Henry, you're going to make an amazing mate. To whoever she is."
I'd meant it as a compliment, full heartedly, so I didn't expect his smile to falter for a moment.
It gave me pause.
He moved his eyes to his lap for a moment before glancing back up at me. "Whoever she is." he repeated my words back to me.
I did wonder why his eyes seemed to lose focus.
My worries were quickly forgotten as he rose from the base of the large tree. He held out his hand which I accepted and allowed him to assist me to my feet. "So, our first mission starts tomorrow." He began as we started walking back towards the house.
"Can you believe it? Do you feel ready?" I asked as I linked my arm with his.
He looked down at me, "What, the top of our class has cold feet?" His big cheesy grin blinded me for a moment. I shook my head and giggled.
"Totally not what I mean. It's just that, tomorrow won't be a drill, you know?"
I paused, "Everything's suddenly unpredictable. Not to mention... real."
I tried to stop myself from getting too serious. I doubted the weight of our mission escaped Henry.
He took a moment to respond. "Yeah..." He drifted off into silence for a moment, I decided maybe he wasn't the type to speak his fears, until "We can do anything, though. I've got your back." He smiled down at me, and I smiled back at him from below his shoulder-height.
"And I've got yours. Always."