The Start of a Connection

"I cannot wait to finally see him again!" I confidently say to myself, as I stand near a door, ready to depart for the most awaited adventure of my life. I wondered how he looked like now, was he still as stubborn as back then? how Pairo was? 

Those questions wouldn't stop popping up in my head. I couldn't help myself, my excitement got the best of me. I soon left the door, with all that was needed inside a bag. We can finally meet again.

--Some years ago--

"I think we have finally reached Lukso province" a male voice sounded.

"Where are the red eyed people?" My childish one resonated.

I was in the middle of a funny forest, the trunks, bushes, grass... they all looked odd. Everything had spirals, and for a kid such as myself the view was very interesting and made me want to go and explore every part right away.
Of course my parents, the ones I was accompanying, would never allow it as it could be fairly dangerous for a 11 year-old in a unknown place. 

"Well, soon we'll find them, hopefully." My mother said.

Both of them were hunters, a 'job for people with special abilities' as they stated once to me.
Due to their job they needed to travel around the world to complete their researches on unknown living beings, most of the cases said beings would have been beasts or other kind of creatures, however, this time a very surprising report was handed to them, regarding humans who eyes would turn in a deep red shade; of course the information immediately caught their attention, and they wanted to work on finding out as much as possible.
They were very careful and would always try to remain in a defensive state, so most of the times they didn't need violence to complete their tasks.

I admired them a lot, and loved to be part of their adventures, as they would take me most of the time.
They sometimes were inquired by others as why they would bring me since it could be highly dangerous, and there was always a similar answer 'because we are parents and we should be there as much as possible for our child; we acknowledge the risks, but our little kid has the right to know about our whereabouts" I always appreciated that, although I don't think there are many risks since they are pretty strong and careful!

"We should take a break for now, giving it's a good time for lunch." My mom said once more.

We soon prepared a comfortable enough spot on the funny forest, I honestly was kinda tired from walking for some hours so the break was a more than appreciated, specially since I would have a meal.

Once we were done they told me to remain in the place as they would look around from some distance, to make sure the area was safe enough and if they can find any clue for the research.

They also gave me a weapon and some sort of equipment to call them in case of something happening. Soon they disappeared in the thick forest, and as I couldn't help my curiosity and excitement for being in a new place, I looked around a bit as well, not wandering too far since I didn't want to cause any trouble to my parents.

The forest was unlike any other, the spirals were everywhere, even in the ground, other plants, and... in people outfits?

I spotted a brown haired kid about my age, he didn't seem much of a threat, but I was very surprised to suddenly find someone around here. Was he one of the red eyed people? I was so curious! but I didn't want to endanger myself... as I kept studying his figure, which observed a river nearby, a idea popped up.

Of course, I should just call my parents!

I then position myself in the back of a spiral tree and quickly make the call... I try explaining as quietly as possible the current situation, and wait for them to come. I don't hear anything coming from the boy for some seconds, until a voice comes out,

"Kurapika?"

And calm footsteps are heard.

Has he noticed me? It seems he thought I was someone else, dang, I didn't think this would happen. And as I thought about my next action I didn't notice he had found me already.

Curious brown eyes landed on me, soon turning into surprise and... horror? incomprehensible words left his mouth, the fear was evident.

"H-hey! I'm.. I promise I won't do anything! so please, don't hurt me!"

I didn't know what to say exactly since the situation wasn't expected. The boy relaxed somehow, but looked at me confused, more incomprehensible words... what was he trying to say?

Before I can do anything, I notice my parents are back. They wore attentive faces as they looked at the situation I was in.

"Hello," My mom manages to say, in a soft way.

The boy turns around and tenses up once again,

"It's okay, we don't plan on causing any harm. Who are you?"

He kept looking as if trying to find his words, "You speak... t-the outside world language..." He manages to say lowly.

Outside world language?

"Oh! so you can speak our language thankfully! do you live nearby?" my mother kept chatting with him, and he soon calmed down and briefly explained he lived in the forest and wasn't allowed to go out due to the rules of his people.

He also asked about why we were there, "We're researching the area. It's our job.", "Yeah! my parents are hunters!" I said excitedly, my parents giggled at my statement.

"Actually... just a second, I'll be back soon!" he immediately ran, in a hurry. I wondered what he was up to, would he tell someone about us?

"Don't worry, he doesn't show any signs of being dangerous", as if understood my thoughts, my father voiced out his own. We patiently waited for the kid to return, and in few moments he was back, bringing a blonde kid along, who seemed very curious about us, examining every aspect; didn't seem reluctant at all about interacting with strangers.

As we introduced ourselves and explained our situation, he seemed even more intrigued about us, while his friend just observed what was unfolding before him.

They seemed to lack skill in our language too, every now and then finding it difficult to make phrases. Their name were Kurapika, the blonde kid, and Pairo, the brown haired one.

They said they met a hunter some months ago and that's how they started to learn our language, we also got to know from them how their people live in the forest, and how their eyes turn scarlet when their emotions are shaken.

Me and Kurapika wouldn't stop talking with one another, seeking information about each other's lifestyle, I have even forgot that my parents were the ones supposed to collect the informations needed, but in the end they decided to ask Pairo for it, also making it clear for the boys that they wouldn't tell anyone from their village about it since they could see us as a threat, and of course they complied to my parents request.

Kurapika was a very interesting kid, I've never seen someone so motivated to achieve their dreams, so I found him to be pretty cool! he kept asking me a lot about how the outside world looked like, and how things worked, while I asked about his people and what he would do to entertain himself being limited by the same scenery.

By the end of the day they needed to get back to the village, and my parents needed to write their report with everything they managed to gather.

The early night was silent and calm, as I sat quietly in the fluffy grass and thought about how fun today was. I cannot wait to meet them again tomorrow!

A/N: I just wanted to say Kurapika and Pairo are going to have a sloppy english for a while, that's on purpose :3 hope you enjoyed!