Memories; The Road to the Hunter Exam

Some sounds could be heard, slowly turning louder as my consciousness was coming back to me.

I felt something warm on my face, brushing ever so gently, "Hey, [Name], the boys are here!" I hear the usual female voice from my mother.

I open my eyes and sit up, rubbing my hands on them. From the tent I was in, I could see my dad was cooking something while other two figures stand observing curiously at how he was working on it.

Kurapika and Pairo!

a smile formed on my lips as soon as I processed what happened in the previous day and I hurried to get up and meet with them. They looked happily at my way, as they were as excited as me.

"There's enough food for all five of us, so I invited your new friends to our breakfast" dad stated,
"I wonder how your food tastes! we probably have different foods" Kurapika said with his sloppy hunter language, while Pairo agreed with him.

We all ate happily, while the boys found our food to be actually delicious.

I was laughing so much at how quickly Kurapika finished it while Pairo quietly told him to have some manner around others. They were so different from each other.

After that we went together to play and explore the forest, since my parents still had to work on their reports.
If anything went up I still had the phone device to give them a call anyway.

  "Why this forest has spirals everywhere?" I asked out of curiosity.
  "What you mean?" Kurapika seemed quite confused,
"All forests aren't like that?" and so did Pairo.
"Eh? no, this is the first time I have seen something like this, and I have been in a lot of places with my parents, we travel around the world",
"Wait, really? you have the chance to meet so much places, you better tell me more about it!"

And so we went on and on about all the places I visited during all my parents' trips, about how strong they are, the creatures we've found, and all dangerous moments, but in the end they managed to keep things in place.

Both Pairo and Kurapika made more questions, while we stopped near a river and sat down.

As hours passed by, Pairo said he needed to be back since his parents would get worried about him staying out for too long, specially after yesterday. Kurapika offered to take him back, but Pairo refused saying he would be fine, so the two of us remained near the river talking about a lot of things, he then showed me a book and explained it was about a hunter, and that the hunter he met handed it to him as a gift. The story seemed so interesting and cool!

  "I wanna become a hunter just like in that story! plus, my parents are awesome, I wanna be like them!" I excitedly said, while Kurapika kept looking at the book with his eyes shining as brightly,
"I want to explore the world, so I want same thing!",

I was happy to be sharing my dream with him, since Kurapika was as excited about it!

"Hey, hey, I know!" suddenly an idea came to me and he looked at me curiously, "Do you know we have to take the hunter exam to get the license, right?" I asked him,
"Huh? a exam? I do not think that woman told me that... explain to me."

And so I did. My parents have once told me they had to pass some sort of test that has some phases, and they're difficult and dangerous, and as I was explaining that to Kurapika it seemed he only got more interested about the hunter job.
I also told him there are different areas in that, and my parents chose to be beast hunters.

"That's it. It sounds challenging and interesting. I wanna take part in that someday and be some hunter that can explore the world like your parents and you",

He sounded so convicted with how he said it, full of motivation in his voice and expression, I again found myself admiring the boy for how he wanna go so far after his dream.
I couldn't help but smile at his way, wearing a childish happy face.

I want to go on my own adventures someday too! and I would love having him on them, and Pairo too!

"What? there's anything in my face?" he asked confused since I kept smiling like an idiot, but I ignored that and said,
"I wanna go with you and explore the world too!", Kurapika seemed taken aback by my statement, but I kept going and finally told my idea,
"How about we take the hunter exam together?"

As I was reminiscing about my sweet past, a smile made its way to my lips without me realizing it.
My admiration for the blonde boy was born from the moment we interacted, and no matter how many years passed, that feeling was still there, in the back of my heart, giving me strength to keep going. And I knew that when my eyes land on him again, all those feelings from the past would come back.

I was lost inside my own head, silently walking, looking for my next destination, when another memory came.

Saudade

I learned that word from him back then. It's when you miss something or someone; you feel "saudade".

He found out there was no translation for it in the hunter language, and I thought it was cool that the feeling could have its own name.
I feel saudade when I think about him, and about the days we spent together in the far past.

I break out from my thoughts as I suddenly start to feel strange while walking down the quiet road, as if something was wrong somehow.

I look around trying to find anything odd, nothing.  Just some people around minding their own business.

And when I was about to turn my head, a male voice hit my right ear, very closely.

"I can help you to find the hunter exam site, fellow stranger", I turn to the source of the voice right away, facing a very strange and funny guy, with a clown appearance. He seemed to like my reaction since some satisfaction was plastered on his face.

"Who are you? and how do you know where I'm going?" I try to hide how I got startled by his approach.
He smiles sickly at my way and just responds, "I can take you there, may you follow me?",
"I cannot follow a complete stranger, specially since you seem quite suspicious. Why would you help me?"

I felt absolutely uncomfortable, what was he thinking?

"I can sense you're quite strong, and I noticed you're looking for the next navigator. I am headed to the same place, if any of this answers your question",

I surely trusted my abilities, specially after being trained by hunters themselves, but I still couldn't shake my fear off, the clown guy was confident in his speech. And quite peculiar.

"I'll follow you then, from 10 meters of distance".

A/N: isn't Hisoka such a kind person?