More Flashbacks: A Warm Goodbye

"Ehhh?! you going to become hunters together?" Pairo said loudly, quite shocked once we told him everything. Me and Kurapika looked at each other wearing confident smiles, and so we nodded to him.

After thinking for a while, we decided to tell Pairo about what we planned.

"But... will it not be dangerous?" He was clearly worried.
"The outside world is dangerous, Pairo, and I want to be strong enough to go there... taking the exam is perfect to prove I'm strong enough!"
Kurapika countered his friend, I could really understand how he felt,
"Yes! and I'll be with him anyway, my parents will train me, and they're hunters! so it will be a piece of cake!"

As I said convicted with the plan, the boys looked at me confused, I gave them the same look not understanding what was going on.

"What's piece of cake, [Name]?"

Kurapika asked. So that was it, they aren't really familiar with expressions. Actually... do they even know what 'cake' is?

"Oh.. I meant it will be really easy." I giggled, and continued, "Anyway! I actually would love to have Kura with me!"
I sweetly said, I enjoyed him a lot. "So now Kurapika have a nickname?" Pairo said giggling, and Kura looked at us kinda embarrassed as we kept with the giggles. But soon he smiled at us, shyly.

As the days slowly, but quickly passed by, I helped Kura and Pairo on getting better with the foreign language, while they also taught me a few words in their own idiom.

We sometimes would also observe my parents as they worked, and would ask them some stuff regarding the hunter exam.

Me and Kura only got closer. I know that I'd soon have to part though, and that made me feel sad. But when I looked at his bright brown eyes, all those gloomy feelings vanished. After all, we would meet again one day, right?

"When are you going?" Kura quietly asked me, looking down at the grass. We were sitting nearby the same river, this time without Pairo as he had some errands to do in the village.

"After tomorrow it seems..." I said, also facing the grass. "How do you feel about it, Kura...?"

For some reason I felt curious about how the boy was handling it, so I turned to look at him, waiting for a response as I couldn't see his face, which was hidden by his hair.

"Well... I don't know..." He moved his position a bit, hesitantly facing my way, and when he noticed we made eye contact, he subtly looked away. I was confused, but my question was never really answered since he got up saying it was better to call it a day.

Was he upset?

In the next day I woke up and went to have breakfast with my parents. Nor Pairo or Kura came in the usual time, and I wondered if something was up. It was much quieter without their presence. No giggles or the common chatting, specially since my parents were focused in what they needed to finish. It felt so odd. I wish I could ask them so we could stay longer, but they once explained me that unfortunately postponing work isn't an option.

After I ate, I told them I'd go by the river to see if the boys were there or something, since I found it quite strange they didn't show up.

I kept on waiting for half an hour and without noticing, I started to throw small rocks at the river as I thought about the situation. I felt really happy around them since I couldn't interact with many kids at my age, we moved from place to place after all.

"[Name]?" a familiar voice could be heard. I turned to its source and saw the brown haired boy. "So you're here." Pairo said.

"Can you come with me?" He asked.