Chapter 5

Three months later, there were fifteen of us in the Glade. I was still the only girl. We finally had enough people to create a system of order to manage the Gladers. We decided to gather everyone together in the newly finished second floor of the homestead.

Once everyone was seated and waiting, Alby announced it was time to create formal jobs and leaders of the jobs in order to maintain order in the Glade with so many new people.

"Newt and I have come up with a list of jobs that people will be placed in." He nodded at Newt before taking a seat,

Newt stood, taking out a piece of paper from his pocket and reading off the jobs.

"Builders, Bricknicks, Sloppers, Cooks, Track-Hoes, Med-Jacks, Slicers, and Runners. Builders, Sloppers, Cooks, and Slicers are pretty self explanitory. Bricknicks are like builders, but will specifically help work on buildings. Track-Hoes are our farmers, they plant, take care of and harvest crops. Most importantly, are the Runners. Only the strongest and bravest of us will be the runners. These select few will venture into the Maze each day and will try to get us out of this shuck hole. Got it?"

Eveyone nodded.

I felt my heartbeat quicking. I was a little bit miffed that I didn't know about the jobs first, because Alby usually trusted me with things like that.

"First thing's first, we need a leader." Newt began again. "Honestly, I think that Alby is the one for the job hands down. He's led us since we first got here, and he's the most level-headed one."

"Good that." I muttered, and a few laughs rang out. I knew with my fiery temper I was not an option for leader. 

"Are there any objections?" Newt asked, looking around. We shook our heads no, and he smiled, turning to Alby.

"Alright, leader, what's next on the agenda?"

Alby stood up. "We have assigned you to jobs, where we think you'll excel best."

He slowly went around the room, announcing the jobs. He also informed us that there would be separate leaders of the jobs, called Keepers. I crossed my arms over my chest, as he went around the circle.

I wanted to be a runner. I knew I could, for shuck's sake, I was the first one who ever went into the Maze. I deserved it. I had been here the longest, and I wanted to find the way out. 

When he got to me, I saw a flash of an unidentifiable emotion in his eyes.

"Thalia, you're a Slicer." My shoulder's tensed and I quickly covered up the flash anger I felt.

A slaughterer? A shucking animal-killer?

He then turned to Winston, who was seated next to me. "You are also a Slicer, but you are the Keeper."

My fists clenched and my jaw bit down as I tried to control my anger.

I didn't listen as he finished going around the circle. I could feel Winston straighten appreciatively and glance at me, probably proud he's in charge of me. I felt like a firecracker with someone holding a match continuously closer to my fuse.

Minho was given the job as the Keeper of the runners and Newt became second in command, as well as a position as a runner. Gally was appointed the Keeper of the Builders, and soon Alby was finished distributing jobs. He ended naming the meeting a 'Gathering'.

- -

I was up in my tree, yet again. I was furious.

I was going to be a slicer. Everyone else who came at the beginning became a Keeper, one of the leaders of the Glade. I wasn't even a keeper. I was below Winston.