Chapter 7

The feeling of the cold floor of the Slammer was enough to shock me awake the next morning.  

        My cheek was freezing, and it felt raw as if it had chaffed against the floor in my sleep. My legs were sore, but I ignored it.  I slowly lifted myself off of the concrete floor. I stretched, extending my arms above my head and arching my back.

        A cough surprised me and I turned to see Minho just outside the door of the Slammer. I walked up the wooden door, peeking through the small window.

        Minho's face twisted into a smirk, and he shook his head at me.

        "I can't believe you, Thalia." He began. "You ditched your job, and ran into the Maze. We didn't put you as a Runner for a reason."

        My face remained emotionless. "I'm not going to stay a Slicer. Even if I go back to that job, I'll just run into the Maze. I haven't hurt another glader. Put me in the Slammer for all you like. I'm not going to live kept up in this shuck-hole."

        The soud of loud footfalls interruped our conversation, and Jeff came into view, his curls bouncing wildly as he came towards us.

        "It's Newt!" He gasped, bending over and putting his hands on his knees. "He's awake!"

        Newt.

        I had completly forgotten about the boy I had saved. The boy who had been dangling above the ground, minutes away from his death.

        I stepped away from the door, and I felt my eyes fill with tears.

        Newt had tried to kill himself. 

        It finally hit me, and I looked Minho dead in the eyes.

        "Please let me out," I begged, "I need to see him."

        Minho just shook his head solemnly and sent me a sad look.

        "I can't." He said simply before following Jeff off into the woods.

        "Minho!" I screamed after him, my fingers grasping at the bars of the tiny window. He glanced over his shoulder at me, and ignored my frantic protests. My palms slammed into the wooden door, but when it didn't give, I turned my back to it, sliding slowly down to rest on the floor. I put my head between my knees and let out a hiccuping sob.

        I waited for hours for someone to let me out and when the keys finally jangled in the lock, I bolted off of the floor to see the stern face of Gally.

        I expected him to be angry with me, but instead he wrapped me in a bear hug, squeezing me tightly. When he let go, he gripped my arm tightly and we began to walk towards the homestead.        

        "Alby's called for a Gathering to figure out what to do with ya. You broke one of the rules, Thalia." He said gruffly. I rolled my eyes.

        Soon enough, I was seated inside the dark room in the Homestead. There were many chairs, seated in a oval. I was ordered to sit in the chair at the apex of the oval, and the familiar faces of the other Gladers stared at me.

        Newt's chair was empty.

        Winston was leaning back in my chair disapprovingly. His arms were crossed over his chest, and his jaw clenched angrily when he saw me.

        I ignored his glare, and Alby stood.

        "I declare this Gathering begun." He began, before turning towards me. "This shank, Thalia" He gestured to me, "Took it upon herself to ditch her job yesterday morning and run into the Maze. Her actions clearly violated two of our rules."