Chapter 12

It was late in the afternoon by the time I had cried, taken a shower, gotten dressed and made my way to the meeting room in the Homestead. I had cried for a minimum of an hour. After I woke up, I had rolled straight over onto my back and my emotions assaulted me.

I cried because of the dream, I cried about losing Thomas, I cried about almost losing Newt many months ago, I cried because I couldn't be near Thomas. I cried until my entire face was crusty with dried tears, my muscles exhausted. The skin around my eyes and my nose was red and irritated.

I took a long shower, soaking my sweat and dirt riddled skin. I hadn't taken a shower in nearly weeks and the dirt flowed off of me and down the drain in a watery trail. My hair felt oily and the water combed through each strand, massaging my head. I sighed, leaning my head against the shower wall.

-

The door to the council hall in the homestead stood before me, and I felt refreshed. My emotions no longer weighing me down, I was happy I had cried for so long. I had needed to cry. My hair was extraordinarily wavy now, and I hadn't even noticed it wasn't naturally straight. I felt powerful, clean, and beautiful.

I raised my hand, knocking on the door. I pushed my shoulders back and entered. All of the keepers were in their appointed seats and Thomas sat in the chair that I had seated myself in over ten months ago.

Thomas' eyes flickered up from the floor and flashed with something unrecognizable. The other Keepers glanced at me, as well, a bit surprised. I wouldn't blame them, I looked totally different with my hair now back to its natural nearly black color.

"T-Thalia?" Gally stuttered, his face flushed. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to know if the trial had ended. What's the deal with Thomas here?" I smirked haughtily, shooting a glance at Thomas. He ducked his head, looking at the floor.

"Because Thomas ran into the Maze, he's going to get a night in the Slammer with bread and water. But, because he survived and he's fast, he's going to start as a Runner tomorrow." Minho said, giving me a grin and nodding at me.

"Good. You deserve it, Thomas." I quipped, giving a small smile to Thomas.

Without a glance at Newt, I swept out of the room, closing the door firmly behind me. I let my shoulders sag and grinned.

Thomas was going to be a Runner. You can't keep him from me now, Newt.

-

The next night there was a bonfire to celebrate the job chosen for Thomas. It was good to relax. Thomas, Minho, and I had all survived an entire night in the maze, and Thomas had served his night in the slammer.

We had done what no one could ever do before. Off to the side, Gally sat brooding on a log. The light from the flames danced eerily off of the sharp edge of his face, his eyebrows arched angrily.

I ignored his grumpy attitude and sat back, watching the Gladers whoop and yell their appreciation for Thomas and his new position. Gally's moonshine was passed around and I took a glass for myself.

Two hours later I had downed enough to the point where I was thoroughly buzzed.

Thomas walked by with Minho, the two laughing, and before I knew what I was doing I had patted the spot next to me.

"Hey, Tommy!" I called with a grin. "Come 'ere."

Thomas muttered a quick goodbye to Minho. After clapping him on the shoulder, he turned and came to sit next to me.

It was as if the normally supressed emotions that I felt around and for Thomas were painfully obvious due to my slight intoxication. I felt butterflies flicker up my stomach and my cheeks grew a bit warm.