Chapter 28

Every table is full, the servers are bustling around serving everyone wine and drinks. The wine is priced ridiculously high. Right before dinner, Logan's mom Rachel walks in with her sister Abby and she immediately starts crying when she sees the turn out. She comes and finds me and hugs me.

The DJ brings the microphone over and asks if she wants to say something and she nods reluctantly with tears in her eyes. It takes her a minute to compose herself, but she finally says, "Uh." That's what she said, and everyone laughs to try and encourage more. "How do I properly thank all of you? Some of you I've never even met. Michael keeps sending us food over. The nurses are requesting more fried chicken. Ryder comes every day to check on me. Lucy makes sure I have clothes and I believe she cleaned my kitchen and folded Logan's underwear." Everyone laughs and Lucy stands up and bows with her cheeky little smile and that makes me laugh. "But this little angel." She says and looks at me. "There's not enough time to tell any of you what she does for me every day. You two should be so proud of her." She looks at my parents. "I love her like my own. Thank you for raising such a beautiful person." Everyone claps and I hug her. "and I'm not talking about her looks people I'm talking about her soul...her warmth and her compassion. If my son doesn't marry you I will."

I laugh and hug her tightly and Michael brings her a chair and she declines it, "I gotta get back. I just wanted to come thank you all and to give you all good news. Today he fluttered his eyes and his foot twitched when I squeezed it which are both incredible signs. Please pray and don't be shy...come see him!"

The whole restaurant is in happy tears. I walk her to the door and Ryder comes running up, "Is he waking up?"

"I sure hope so! It could be nothing, but I refuse to believe that." She says with a big smile. "So please believe with me." He nods and hugs her.

Michael comes running out of the kitchen with bags of food, "It's only pastas but you tell those nurses the friend chicken is coming!"

"You're unbelievable!" She says with glassy eyes and a warm smile. "All of you really. I love you all."

When she leaves Ryder turns to me, "He's going to wake up." His smile is contagious. "He's waking up!" Then he wraps his arms around me, lifts my toes off the ground and twirls me. "Oh thank god!" He almost screams and when he sets me down, I frantically glance in the restaurant to see my mom staring at me with squinted eyes. I look for my dad, but he's too busy playing with Brandon, thank goodness. I step away and smile gently at Ryder before quickly turning and walking away. I notice he stays behind in the restaurant entry, but I don't look back. I know he wants to celebrate Logan with me, but I can't be close to him that way with my parents around.

I walk to my seat and feel Tessa glaring at me, I turn to her and smile and wave energetically. She flips me off and I roll my eyes. Then she mouths something that I'm gonna have to guess was, "Get mono and die." It's the weirdest curse anyone could ever bestow on me.

Let me just tell you she has been extra hard to take since Logan's accident. She cries all day at school, begging for attention from everybody. She is trying to turn people against me by blaming me for Logan's injury. Claiming that I am cheating on him with Josh. It's so annoying. I take my seat by my mom and she watches me as though her eyes are magnifying glasses.

"How's your pasta?" I ask grabbing my water with a shakey hand, a little spills out and I set it back down. I know she saw me and Ryder you don't pick a girl up and spin her if you're not friends.

"Izzy, everything is lovely. Are you okay? I'm worried about you." She asks.

"Why wouldn't I be?" I ask.

"You and Ryder..." She starts and I almost choke on the air around me.

"I think I should go check on the wine situation to make sure we have enough." I stand up and walk away. I can't talk to her right now.