The Ink of Revenge: Part 4

It took Briggs a week to write his story, and for the first time in a long while, he took great care in his work and stayed sober until it was done. He knew that he would have a single opportunity to convince an editor to publish it, and then to strike a deal to bring him on staff. The tale was already out there, as told by Dr. Watson, so this had to grab the attention of Londoners. It had to be sound, it had to be sympathetic, and it had to be shocking.

He took his work to his former editor at The Times, who was also the man who fired Briggs - twice. But sensational revelations and sales will trump bad feelings, and Mr. Stanley Lambert was not halfway through Briggs's article when he put it down and demanded to know if it was true.

Briggs assured him it was indeed.

***

It was before dawn, and wagons slowly made their way through narrow streets and wide boulevards with stacks of newspapers which were either dropped off or handed to newsstand and shop keepers, while newsboys lined up at the news office to collect their bundles.  Then they ran down the streets carrying their stacks of newspapers from a dozen different publishers. They would stand on corners and hawk the news all over the city; but, although their actions were similar, the headlines that the young barkers shouted out to potential buyers were not the same. Today, the boys selling The Times had a shocking headline to call out. It was one that grabbed the attention of passers-by and resulted in newspapers being snapped up citywide.

A barrister who worked in the Temple section of the old city sat at his large desk and read the story about Miss Mary Henderson, while unknowingly making audible sounds of disdain and surprise as he read.

The name of the young woman will be kept a secret to save her any further embarrassment or damage to her public reputation so we will refer to her as Dr. Watson had in his tale "A Case of Identity."

A doctor read the story out loud as a group of nurses stood around him in shocked silence.

... and as a result, Miss Sutherland was betrayed by not only her own mother and step-father but by the very men whom she employed to help her.

Two salesgirls in a dress shop allowed a customer to wait as they read the story with mouths agape.

...Miss Sutherland's eyes welled with tears as she gave her account of the cruel trick and subsequent betrayal that befell her.

The solicitor riding the top of the omnibus read the final paragraphs with disgust as the tailor peeked over his shoulder also reading the article with interest.

...and thus, did Holmes and Watson take this poor woman's tale of woe, having failed her in every legal and ethical manner, and turned it into a vehicle of their own money-making designs. The self-styled author, Watson, added the victim's tale to his catalog in another attempt to gain wealth at the expense of another victim.

Inspector Gregory Lestrade of Scotland Yard read the article headline and found that he had to reread it to be certain he had read it correctly. He snapped the paper closed and yelled for the sergeant to bring him some tea. He put his feet up on his desk, snapped the paper open again, and smiled as he started to read the article.

Sherlock Holmes - The Great Betrayer!

Money, Celebrity and Dr. Watson's Growing Practice

***

The Times lay upon the small kitchen table, folded-in-half and ignored, as Mrs. Hudson frantically scrubbed the stove. She was upset and always found cleaning an effective outlet for unwelcome emotions. She had taken Mr. Holmes tea at mid-morning. He was not one for exhibitions of emotion, but she found his nonchalance unsettling in light of what was printed in the paper. He was involved in one of his chemistry experiments and simply said "good morning" and continued with his work. Mrs. Hudson left the tea tray on his side table and noticed the discarded newspaper next to his chair. She glanced back at Mr. Holmes before she left the room: his demeanor was inscrutable.

***

It was much later in the afternoon when Dr. John Watson came home from his office. Word got to him very early in the day about the article, so he sent a boy to buy him a copy to see for himself. He found it greatly disturbing and chastised himself for publishing the "A Case of Identity" when he felt so conflicted about their actions.

He had urged Sherlock to tell Miss Henderson the truth, but his friend had waxed philosophical about it, ignoring any potential damage secrecy may impart to the victim. But he was as much to blame as Sherlock because his instincts told him to go and tell the young woman the truth, but he chose to ignore them - even as he composed his story. And now the truth comes out, and they look like opportunists, abandoning a young woman in need to make money by publishing her story.

"John... John, I was thinking we might go - what is it?" Mary Watson changed her thought mid-sentence as she walked into the foyer and saw the look on his face.

The Doctor hung his bowler, handed the newspaper to Mary, pointed to the headline, and walked into the parlor to pour himself a scotch. Mary looked down at the newspaper headline and put her hand to her mouth.

***

Not far from the home of John and Mary Watson, Mr. William Briggs was having drinks with Mr. Lambert and toasting their success. The morning edition had sold out city-wide. Lambert had not yet offered Briggs a position but guaranteed him the front page on a follow-up story if he could get interviews or statements from Holmes or Watson. After that, they would talk.

Briggs was enjoying his triumph, the quality liquor he was drinking, and the meal he was eating (courtesy of an old nemesis). Tomorrow, he would approach Holmes and Watson for statements on the matter. No one in the press had been this openly critical of the great detective, and it would bring Briggs both notoriety and criticism. Perfect - as the new question at hand was can Briggs find more such stories and be the man who breaks Sherlock Holmes.