Mrs. Hudson: Part 6

What We Have Here is?

Martha and Ellie were in firm agreement that Laura was in danger, as the murderer somehow discovered Mr. Solabrini's plans and no-one could be sure what course of action he would take next. Ellie offered to send a carriage for Laura's family and have them brought to her, only to find out that Laura had no immediate family; she came to London with her mother, who had died the previous year, so Laura lived with two girls who also worked at the bakery. Ellie convinced Laura to stay the evening, and they offered her as much comfort as possible.

The next day, Martha suggested to Ellie that they contact Inspector Whitmore, as he was probably looking for Laura, and they could advise him of the attempted abduction and the unlikely involvement of the Special Branch officer.

Laura slept late. She was in emotional shock after the news of Walter's murder and woke feeling fuzzy and separated from herself. She was relieved to find that Martha and Ellie gave her space in the morning. Ellie saw to Laura's tea then allowed her to breakfast in the quiet of her room.

As she ate, Laura tried to come to grips with what happened and what she should do next. The decision to go to Nottingham was quite sudden and wasn't terribly well thought out, but Walter said that it was "time to go," and that it was "now or never." She didn't understand the urgency but wanted a life with Walter Solabrini, and his new position in Nottingham held that promise.

It was late morning when Inspector Whitmore arrived at the Buckley home. He was not altogether pleased at being outpaced by two women who had discovered and located Solabrini's fiancé first. He wore his displeasure like a constable wore their striped "duty band"  on their left sleeve.

First, Martha filled in the Inspector regarding the previous day's event at the train station. Whitmore was not a "sharp knife," but even he could see that the Special Branch Officer's presence and actions were more than pure coincidence. It was the sudden involvement of the gentleman abductor that really complicated things for Whitmore: were his actions random, or had he been targeting the girl? Or was he involved in Solabrini's murder?

The Inspector spent half an hour speaking with Laura about Mr. Solabrini and his friends, his work, the places he frequented, and any enemies who may be motivated enough to murder him. Ultimately, the Inspector ran out of questions, as the late Mr. Solabrini appeared to be a "capitol saint" who worked at a print shop and saw Ms. Lindergaurd as often as possible. His biggest vices were that he liked football and worked very long hours.

Whitmore was vexed, as the murder appeared to be personally motivated and not a simple robbery. Love? Vengeance? He was uncertain, but he agreed that young Laura Linderguard could be in danger as well.

"Ms. Linderguard, I am going to recommend that you extend your stay here at Mrs. Buckley's home - that is if that is alright with Mrs. Buckley," said the Inspector as he cast a glance over at Ellie, who responded by nodding her consent.

Laura looked from the Inspector to Martha and Ellie, who each simply nodded and gave brave smiles to the young woman.

"Very well Inspector, if you feel that I would be safe here, only I do not want to overextend my stay and become a burden to Mrs. Buckley's generosity."

"Right, it's settled then, and I'll contact you here if we capture the killer or have any additional questions," replied Whitmore as he donned his bowler, nodded to the ladies, and saw himself out.

Tea, Cakes, and Detectives

Mr. Holmes and Dr. Watson were due back in London this afternoon, and Martha wondered if they would be interested in hearing about the events fate had cast before her and Ellie. The day rolled into the afternoon, and Laura remained inside her room and had kept to herself since the Inspector's visit. Martha decided to return to Baker Street and to speak with Mr. Holmes and the Doctor.

Upon her return home, Mrs. Hudson freshened up and changed clothes, then began to bake some scones and tarts in anticipation of the return of the two men.

At approximately three O'Clock she heard the front door open and the familiar voices of Holmes and Watson as they clamored up the stairs to Sherlock's flat. She was restless, excited, and could hardly restrain herself from immediately running up the stairs after them, but she started some tea and drank a quick glass of sherry (kept in the kitchen for purely medicinal purposes). Now, armed with a full tea tray, Mrs. Hudson walked up the stairs to speak with her lodger, who happened to be the greatest detective in England.

Holmes and Watson were happy to see Mrs. Hudson and were overjoyed at her timely serving of tea and tarts. She politely asked about their trip, and they laughed as Mr. Holmes gave a brief recount of their adventure. Martha smiled but lingered, not sure how to approach the subject.

"Mrs. Hudson, I detect that you have something you wish to discuss with either myself or the Doctor, or perhaps with the both of us," stated Holmes rather succinctly.

Martha took a deep breath and replied that she did have something important to present. This was out of character for her, and her anxiety was clearly visible, so the Doctor offered her a chair and bade her tell her story.

Starting at her tea with Ellie, Martha gave the two men a full account of the events of the previous day and took care to include every detail and observation she could recall. She concluded with Inspector Whitmore's visit that morning. Holmes and Watson sat in rapt silence as the tale was voiced by the housekeeper. Holmes never interrupted, but once the murder was described, he changed his position in his chair, drawing his legs up and propping his feet up on the edge of the chair. Then he closed his eyes and remained that way until the tale was told.

When she was finished, Martha sat quietly with her hands folded in her lap and watched Mr. Holmes.  After a minute or so, Sherlock opened his eyes, stood up, and began to pace about the room.

"Mrs. Hudson, I must say that you are a miracle of surprise and humility!" he suddenly proclaimed.

Doctor Watson smiled as he looked over at Martha Hudson who simply turned red, but smiled inwardly.

"You did exceedingly well - exceedingly well - in shocking and dangerous circumstances. This is a dangerous case Watson, and I suspect Moriarty to be behind it all."

The Doctor's smile quickly fell at the mention of the Professor, and he knew that he would not be returning home to his wife this afternoon, as Holmes would require his assistance.

"Mrs. Hudson, you are to return to Mrs. Buckley's and remain there until we arrive later - what is her address?"

And with that, Martha made preparations to return to Ellie's home as Holmes and Watson grabbed their hats and coats and ran for a cab. The last thing Sherlock Holmes did before they left Baker Street was to retrieve his revolver.

***