Prologue

5 years ago

I sneak across the floor and peek through the crack in the door. The sliver of golden light is the only color in the inky black room. I see my father lacing up his boots with his back mostly turned towards me. I was completely silent but somehow he knows I'm there.

"You should be in bed little wolf." He didn't even turn towards me as he spoke. I snort at his comment "little wolf" and roll my eyes. I'm sixteen and old enough to marry, there is nothing "little" about me.
"Where are you going? Can I go?" He turns to me and smiles as he throws his cloak on.
"No. It is too dangerous. Besides, you need to stay with your sister." My face sours and I feel my chest get hot. "She is not my sister. I hate her!" I snap. When that little "bundle of joy" was born there were complications and our mother passed in the night. My own mother disappeared after my fifth birthday, a few years later when my father met Sigfrid and I was so happy. I had a second chance at a mother and my sister Röta took her from me. My father narrows his eyes and opens his mouth to speak but he is cut off by a howl. There is only one creature that makes that bone chilling noise. A Trux. Huge, ravenous beasts that move on four legs, their massive paws have three razor sharp claws. They are the color of the blackest night with canines that extend from their upper lip and go down to their chin. They have long, slender tails that they can control like a limb to help bring down their prey and fur they can manipulate to blend in with their surroundings. Like they need any of that, they are faster and stronger than a grown man and can only be harmed with magic or silver.

"They're getting closer," my father says grimly, "I need to take care of this. Stay here." Before I can protest he's out the door. I count to one hundred then throw on my own boots and cloak and follow after him. My father started teaching me to hunt and track after I turned ten but it's raining outside and it makes following his trail more difficult. Once I find it, I follow it and it leads to the edge of the forest. I hesitate for a moment before finding my courage and push forward. I don't get very far when I hear a low growl to my left. A Trux stalks out of the shadows, its fur is blending into the trees and the only visible features are its pale gray eyes and long, glistening canines. I slowly back away but each step I take back, it takes two forward. Its muscles tighten and it gets ready to pounce but before it can lunge at me, my father crashes through the brush and slams into the creature.

"Run! Get to the cabin and bar the door!" He grunts out while struggling with the monstrosity. I am so stunned that I don't move at first, I turn to run just as my father slices the Trux's stomach open with his silver dagger. We break the edge of the forest and the cabin is in view but before we can take a breath of relief, three more Trux bound out from the trees behind us.

"Keep going! Don't open that door unless I tell you!" My father yells as he swings around to face the creatures. I notice he is bleeding heavily from his abdomen and his right arm hangs limp by his side. I have no weapon and consider making a distraction but I know that I will just serve as more stress for my father when he needs to concentrate on surviving. I reach the door and dare to look behind me. Two Trux are on the ground dead and I feel a surge of hope for my father but it is short lived. I see my father on his back with the last Trux over him. I try to pry my eyes away but I can't. The Trux's jaw close around my father's throat and it gives a violent shake. A scream rips from me that comes from my soul,

"NO!" I sob. His head falls from the monster's mouth as it takes a step towards me; my father's neck is almost completely severed. I turn to get into the safety of my home but the door is jammed. I can hear the pounding of feet running towards me, I throw myself frantically against the door and it finally opens. I slam the door closed and lock the bar in place behind the door just as the Trux bashes into it. I pray it holds as I bar the windows. My baby sister is crying in fear and I run to her. I grab her and lock us in the pantry; it's made of stone to help keep the food inside cool and is the safest place in the cabin. Hours have passed and the Trux has finally gotten tired, or maybe it found another victim to sate its bloodlust. I creep out of the pantry and lay us in bed, Röta is still whimpering. I begin to sing her a song my mother used to sing to me before she disappeared.

"Night is here, ay a ha.
Stars appear, ay a ha.
Mama-ma, aya a ha.
Owls you hear, ay a ha.
Do not fear, ay a ha.
Mama-ma, aya ha a.
Close your eyes, ay a ha.
Go to sleep, ay a ha.
Mama-ma, aya a ha."

I sing her the lullaby over and over, even after she falls asleep. My eyes get heavy but before I let the exhaustion take over I kiss her forehead and promise to never let anything happen to her, no matter the cost.