01

"It's quite exciting," said Sherlock Holmes, with a yawn.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

THE CAR RIDE FROM THE MAXIMOFF WAS A QUIET AND AWKWARD ONE for both Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson.

It wasn't, however, an uncomfortable ride in the slightest for Galina Ivanov.

The redheaded woman was staring out the window of the service car Mycroft had provided them, eyeing every landmark with fascination and annoying Sherlock every five minutes when she would ask him to name the buildings.

"And, what is that?" she asked, pointing to a tall expansive building that rested right on the river's edge.

"The Houses of Parliament," Sherlock answered briskly.

"And that?"

"Big Ben, shouldn't you know this already-Ow!" he snapped when John elbowed him in the stomach. He turned his attention to Galina after sending John a withering look.

"Oh, I do, but I wanted you to tell me anyway," she teased, her kind deep-emerald eyes scanning his face for a brief moment before returning back to the views.

"You need to be more patient, Sherlock," John whispered, stiff in his position in the middle seat, one which he reluctantly got because Galina wanted to sit by the window and Sherlock asserted he was too tall to be in the middle.

"I don't have any patience," Sherlock mused, his eyes narrowing at the way the window fogged up due to Galina's close proximity. He found it annoying but fascinating at her amusement to such rudimentary things.

"Excellent," John said sarcastically, his voice just barely below a whisper. "In that case, this will almost be like a lesson for you. You need to be sympathetic."

"I don't have any sympathy," Sherlock replied, not even trying to hide his voice.

Both men turned to Galina when she let out a breathy giggle, still looking out the window. "You know I can hear you, yes?"

After that, the rest of the ride was taken in silence, with short bursts of non-verbal sparring between Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson.

When the car service finally arrived at 221B Baker Street, Galina jumped out of the car quickly, but not before giving a genuine thank you to the man driving. He was the blonde bodyguard that had escorted John and Sherlock to the Maximoff and they were both deeply disturbed and offended when the man gave his sincere welcome with a smile to Galina and then turning his scowl toward the two men.

"Here you go, Sherlock," John huffed, handing him the two very large suitcases that Galina had brought with her.

Sherlock grunted as he begrudgingly took the bag, muttering under his breath that the woman could take her own luggage if she bloody wanted it that badly.

John went ahead to the waiting-woman and unlocked the door for her so she could step into the bottom level of the flat.

The first thing Galina did, besides gush over the homey smell, was to take her shoes off and hold them in her hands, right above her chest, with trembling and excited fingers.

"Must you take your shoes off?" Sherlock grunted, realizing that he might need to start exercising because of the considerable strain it took to lug her bags into the flat.