Important

A SMALL LESSON IN HISTORY

The Mughal dynasty ruled over India in the late Medieval times or what some people call early modern times for approximately two centuries. They ruled for around 180 years. From 1526 when Babur seized control of a part of Northern India to the death of Aurangzeb who was the sixth Mughal emperor in 1707.

After Aurangzeb, the Mughal empire weakened, it was also the time when both traditional and new social groups of Marathas, Rajputs, Hindu Jats, Sikhs, Pashtuns gained military and governing ambitions during Mughal rule. These groups organized rebellions, surprise attacks and fought against the Mughal army.

On the other hand, there were majority of Rajputs who accepted the Mughal sovereignty long before Aurangzeb became the emperor. There were a lot of reasons as to why some Rajputs didn't fight or chose to serve the Mughals.

One of the those reasons was marriages between these two distinct cultures.

Matrimonial alliances were made between the Mughals and the Rajputs diminishing any sort of animosity between them. Some formed an alliance with them for power and protection as once Rajputs accepted the paramountcy of Mughals, they became parts of the Mughal administration. Many rose to the position of military generals whilst still being able to rule their kingdom. They probably realized that resistance was futile as the Mughals seized control over larger parts of India and chose to serve them as having some land was perhaps better than having no land at all.

Those who rebelled against the Mughal empire and those who formed an alliance with them naturally were two different types of people.
The rebels wanted liberty whilst the other group of people simply wanted power. The rebels looked down at them, for them they were traitors, the ones who sold their motherland because they couldn't or didn't want to fight. It didn't matter for those who formed a treaty, for they lived luxurious lives under the protection of Mughal empire and performed their duties as general or commander or whatever the rank that was given to them.

There have been countless battles and wars that were waged against the Mughals. The lack of unity and different ideals parted the country men into groups—though the Rajputs were fighting against themselves long before Mughal Dynasty came into power, to increase their empires which was one of the reasons why the invaders were able to plunder India—started a battle of it's own. A battle of fighting against your own people or what they once considered their people anyway because liberty was at stake and it no longer mattered if it was a Rajput or a Mughal standing in the way. All that mattered was seizing control of the country once again, one state at a time.